Help with Live View D5300

rebeccanewbie

Hello everyone

im new to the forum - hoping someone can help me

I love my new D5300 I found one thing I cant find a solution for when shooting a video in live view in AF you can hear the lens focusing which to be honest is very disappointing

I would shoot in manual but the close ups wont focus in I switch to manual, how would you do it ie what button would I press and can you focus using the remote rather than me leaning towards the camera! Also do the focusing noises happen in this mode?

thank you ! :)

SteveH

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum!
The noise you hear will happen in all modes where you are using auto-focus, as the focus motor is in the lens and the microphone is near the front of the camera. You can focus manually and that will eliminate the noise as the motor won't be in use. Also, if you have different lenses, you may find some lenses have quieter motors than others.

If you want to use auto-focus and not have any focus motor noise in your video, by far the best solution is to use an external microphone - They can mount on the flash hot-shoe and are just far away enough from the lens to not pick up the motor noise.

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

Depending on what you're trying to video, I've been pretty happy with just using manual focus and setting it before the video starts. Works out ok for lectures ... doesn't work as well for action/sports.

If you need auto focus, I would use either one of the shotgun style mics that mount to the hot shoe, or better yet a lavalier mic that can be wireless or wired and on the subject vs on the camera.