Wireless Lighting Question

FoxRacer2

Hello all,

Im a bit confused here, just a few questions, I have the Nikon d40 and I plan on buying the Sb-600 shortly, and I want to be able to use the flash off camera, and since the d40 doesn't have a built in commander I am going to need a trigger...? Or something else. If someone could point me in the direction of what I need to use that would be great. Im all confused with the triggers and recievers and how they work...And sorry if there's another thread, im on my phone and I searched but nothing came up. Thanks all!

Oh and yes I am aware of the su-800 but not in the budget to spend 250 on a wireless commander.

Last edited:

Browncoat

Typically, you can use the camera's pop-up flash to trigger the SB-600. But this is just with cameras equipped with i-TTL if I'm not mistaken, and I don't think the D40 has that.

You don't need to invest in the SU-800, there are plenty of inexpensive wireless triggers out there. Take a look @ the Cactus v4 and v5 units.

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
He could just buy an optical trigger, hook it up to the flash, and use the camera's flash to trigger the sb-600, right Anthony?

Browncoat

I swear Curt is a pimp for Link Delight.

He could just buy an optical trigger, hook it up to the flash, and use the camera's flash to trigger the sb-600, right Anthony?

I *think* that would work. But again, that might have something to do with i-TTL, so I'm not 100% sure.

Curt

Just trying to give Foxracer2 the best deal...lol. I don't think you can beat that price anywhere. I have some other Blazzeo products and they are really well made. Don't think you can go wrong with that set up??

fotojack

Just trying to give Foxracer2 the best deal...lol. I don't think you can beat that price anywhere. I have some other Blazzeo products and they are really well made. Don't think you can go wrong with that set up??

Oh, I totally agree with you, Curt. lol It's just that.....every time you mention LinkDelight, I just KNOW Anthony is thinking about, or is going to say something about it! LOL It just never fails to crack me up! :) I'm STILL laughing! I think I hurt my gut! :)

Browncoat

Don't think you can go wrong with that set up??
Any kind of wireless trigger would work. Depending on his budget, he could go with anything from PocketWizards on down.

I've been doing some digging, and indeed the D40 is not an i-TTL enabled camera, so he's not going to be able to fire the SB-600 with the on-camera flash unit like you can with the more current model cameras.

FoxRacer2

Thank you guys for the response. The link that curt posted seems fairly reasonable price wise, my only other question is, do the recievers hook on to the flash itself or no? Im a little confused on that.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Curt

Yes, your speed light will go on a receiver (you will have 4, so if one gets lost or broken, or you add more speedlights), and the transmitter goes on your hot shoe of your camera.
Really simple and easy to hook up, oh don’t worry about the company they are very good, they will send it by post, so you will not have to pay any duty or custom charges.
It will come right to your door in about two weeks. You will have to set your SB-700 on manual.

Browncoat

Those LinkDelight units clip onto the rabbit ears on your television set, and the command module attaches to the underbelly of a low flying airplane. Then they communicate with your microwave, which emits a signal that causes your flash to work about 50% of the time. But only on Sundays in the rain.

Other triggers are better. You just put the transmitter on your camera's hot shoe and the other attaches to the flash. They work far more often, even on Thursdays!

Curt

Well you have the information, it up to you now what to do with it…lol.
Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.