What wide angle lens do you use for landscape?

hsiehjon

I'm looking for a wide angle lens that doesn't have to be particularly fast as I'll be using a tripod for most of my landscape shots.

I'm currently looking at the AF-S 18-35 f3.5-4.5, Sigma 24 1.4 Prime, and the AF-S 16-35 f4. Any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards the 18-35.

Thanks in advance!

480sparky

The 11-16 and 17-50 have been great on my D5300, but those aren't compatible on FX body, right?

I'm looking for FX wide angle lens.

All DX lenses will work on any FX body, but in DX mode. You'll just be losing pixels in the process. If you're looking for FX glass, there's hundreds of options that will work.

My wide-angle stable includes a 1980's Tokina 17/3.5, a Siggy 12-24, a Nikkor 17-35/2.8 AF-D, a Nikkor 20mm and 28mm AF-D primes as well as a Sigma 28mm. I can also press my 24-120/4, 28-200 AF-D and 28-300 G into a bit of wide-angle use.

hsiehjon

All DX lenses will work on any FX body, but in DX mode. You'll just be losing pixels in the process. If you're looking for FX glass, there's hundreds of options that will work.

My wide-angle stable includes a 1980's Tokina 17/3.5, a Siggy 12-24, a Nikkor 17-35/2.8 AF-D, a Nikkor 20mm and 28mm AF-D primes as well as a Sigma 28mm. I can also press my 24-120/4, 28-200 AF-D and 28-300 G into a bit of wide-angle use.
Yeah, except I don't plan to shoot in DX mode. I'm aware there are plenty of lenses to choose from, which is why I'm asking for recommendations :D.

480sparky

If it were me, I would go through my DX file library and see what focal lengths I tended to shoot at. Convert to FX, and go from there.

TieuNgao

I'm using 16-35mm f/4 and quite happy about it, except the distortion at 16mm.
In the future I might consider buying the Sigma Art 24mm.

Horoscope Fish

If budget is of no concern, I'd say the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G ED for around $800.

What I have in my bag, and think this is a real gem of a lens, is the Nikon 24mm f/2.8D that sells for around $300.

But then I've not been able to play with the newer 20mm f/1.8G yet, either...

TieuNgao

Optically the 18-35mm is as good as the 16-35mm and $500 cheaper, smaller and lighter. On the other hand the 16-35mm is a bit wider, has VR, nano coating and better build quality.

Rick M

READ the reviews! The new 18-35 ranks second to only the 14-24. Don't discount the prosumer build. It is light, compact and almost unmatched in IQ. This is one of those very rare great deals in a lens.

Blacktop

I can't recommend the Nikkor 20mm AF-D lens enough. Practically no distortion. I also have a Rokinon 14mm which is absolutely horrid, when it comes to distortion. You can fix it LR however.
IQ wise the 24-120mm f/4 seems to be the winner in my collection. I also have a 28-105 AF-D lens which I mostly use for close up stuff, but it can double as a wide angle in a pinch.

These are the 4 that I have and use. if I had to pick one to use just for wide stuff, I would pick the 20mm AF-D

Blacktop

The 11-16 and 17-50 have been great on my D5300, but those aren't compatible on FX body, right?

I'm looking for FX wide angle lens.

You may want to update your signature to include the D750 so people who want to offer advice actually know that you're not looking at lenses for your D5300. Right?:indecisiveness:

hsiehjon

READ the reviews! The new 18-35 ranks second to only the 14-24. Don't discount the prosumer build. It is light, compact and almost unmatched in IQ. This is one of those very rare great deals in a lens.
which is why I'm leaning towards this lens. I just wanted to hear some of your guys' thoughts.

You may want to update your signature to include the D750 so people who want to offer advice actually know that you're not looking at lenses for your D5300. Right?:indecisiveness:
Well, technically I'm still not a D750 user :p. It arrives in 2 days.

But I agree, I should probably add it to avoid confusion.

Blacktop

which is why I'm leaning towards this lens. I just wanted to hear some of your guys' thoughts.

Well, technically I'm still not a D750 user :p. It arrives in 2 days.

But I agree, I should probably add it to avoid confusion.

Congrats. You'll love it. I went through the same thing myself. I had a Tokina 11-16 on my d7100. It was a great UWA lens.

Al Gentile

I shoot landscapes primarily. I have a D750, and use either the Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G (which is so sharp you can shave with it), or the Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4, which is also a super lens. Any distortion at 16mm is easily fixed, either by the camera (JPEG) or with Lightroom or such (RAW). The zoom range has proven to be very useful.

I shied away from the Nikkor 14-24mm, mainly for the price, weight, and lack of filters. I don't miss the extra 2mm.

RocketCowboy

The big driver for me towards the 16-35mm/f4 was the easy ability to use filters. For landscapes, I didn't figure I needed anything faster than F4, and for indoors I'm probably using the 20mm/f2.8 prime is I need the extra stop of exposure.