D7000 view nx2, editing JPEGs

amonamarth

Hello:

Received my camera last week and have a quick question regarding the software that came with it, View NX 2. I noticed that when I edit a JPEG picture, however small the edit is, when it comes to saving the edited file, the size is quite smaller than the original. For example if I open a 6mb JPEG, apply some saturation and save, I end up with a 900kb file. Something is wrong with that.

Is there a way to control this, or some workaround?

FoxRacer2

Im not too familiar with nx2 since I don't really like the program, but when you save does a box come up with the quality of the jpeg before you actually save it? That's the only thing I can think of.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

amonamarth

Only if you export. But if you simply edit and save, the JPEG is resampled down, loosing about 70% of its size, the is now settings option, just a save icon.

TieuNgao

Click on "File", then "Convert Files", from here you can select the file quality. But even if you choose the highest quality you may still loose about 25% file size (I'm not sure in this case whether or not you'll loose 25% quality).

I think the editing software from Canon is better.

amonamarth

Yes, I tried conversion also, it's a little better, however, as you mentioned, some quality seems to be lost also.

My problem is with simple edits, say, contrast, then save. This operation should not bring the filesize down to 25% of the original, something is wrong, there seems to be a bug here. It's almost impossible to think I'm the first user noticing it.