Clients from hell

Browncoat

Email excerpt:

We’re really impressed with your portfolio. Really professional stuff! We’d love to have you photograph our new menu options. We can’t afford to pay you, but you can eat some of the food after you’re done shooting it.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
wow - maybe if the food is really good and they gave me coupons for free dinner or something.

Eye-level

Banned
Tell them you are not a venture capitalist you are a photographer and that you have absolutely no interest in start ups to begin with...and then raise the price!

KWJams

Now that is thoughtful of them --- just tell them that you really like their food but have food allergies. Then tell them that the free part of your services is taking the pictures for clients. But it is final the prints that cost real money.

Will V|Photography

^Win.

Even though I'm far from a professional, I still laugh when people ask me to do work for them for free but I can "use it to build my portfolio". Oh can I?! Thanks a bunch! :rolleyes:

FoxRacer2

Ha wow that sux. You should make a deal with him so you can get free food whenever you want.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

jcottone45

Wow, that took nerve to ask, but then again some people think everyone else is an "also ran"If they're that hard up & strapped for cash they should do the work themselves & get sick on their own damn food, they're probably looking for as many freebees as they can get & think that photographers just do this for extra cash which is none of their damn business anyway.
Any way Anthony Flip them the Bird.!!!

Browncoat

The really high end places don't even use food at all, they hire artists who use modeling clay painted up to look like food.

silvertip

Many years ago when I was assisting a company photographer shoot food, we never ate what we shot. Basically because as has been stated-- we never knew how long the food had been setting out. Especially if it was fish. Although the food was probably good, we were not going to take a chance. The food stylist was costing over $500 per day. Better safe than sorry.

Eye-level

Banned
I'm curious did you solicit them or did they solicit you? How did you get involved with these folks in the first place?

Last edited:

Browncoat

They solicited me. This is a local upscale kinda place, where a shirt and tie are required. I guess they figured that it was an honor to even be mentioned in the same sentence as them, so that was payment enough. They figured wrong.

bluenoser

Banned
That's hilarious Anthony.

Maybe - assuming you even liked their food - if they let you eat free for a year instead of just one sitting. :)