From D70 to D5500 brings me here

okulo

I have been interested in photography for 35 years and have usually stuck with the same bit of kit for many years before upgrading.

For 20 years, I had Pentax bodies having been persuaded to buy an ME Super in 1979 and it seemed to make sense to stick with one brand in order to get the most out of the lenses and further bodies until I first dabbled with digital with a shared Nikon Coolpix 5700.

When I eventually made the switch to a DSLR in 2004, I took the opportunity to reassess what brand I would adopt for the next leg of my photographic future and after some deliberation, I bought a D70 with 18-70mm zoom. After then buying an 18-200mm zoom, I bought a second D70 body so that I could keep the lenses attached to save contamination from dust etc.

And so it was for the next 11 years during which time I ran three graphic design and filmmaking businesses putting the D70s to good use. Then about a month ago, I had the notion to upgrade and put everything photographic on eBay and bought a D5500 with 18-55mm zoom (it was only £20 more than buying the body) and scrimped to buy the 18-300mm zoom f3.5-6.3 (my gear list the f3.5-5.6 because the f3.5-6.3 isn't listed).

I realised I was entering new territory, not least RAW photography which I had avoided with the D70, and might like to engage with others so I Googled 'Nikon forum' and here I am. Hello.

Griso

I'm pretty new here too - I think you've landed in the right place - I've found it to be very friendly, helpful and encouraging here!

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites! The D5500 is an impressive camera and I'm sure you'll notice the step up from your prior D70s. Hope to see some of your images here soon.

Bill16

Awesome! Welcome to our Nikonites family! I never tried that model, but I've been impressed with the Nikon models I have had my hands on! Lol :)
I'm a big Raw fan and I hope you'll like it too! Raw files can be worked with much better than jpg and you don't lose anything as you do every time you edit jpg's!
Anyway I hope you'll love it here as much as I do! :)

okulo

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I'm still finding my way around the D5500 and not really getting the results I'd like. I'll probably post a few questions in the D5500 section before long as I don't think anybody has asked anything similar yet.