CC rant and some help please.

canuck257

I just had a telephone conversation with the people at Adobe, not an easy thing to do since you have to navigate a number of "robots" before getting a real person. I called them because I wished to subscribe to PS CC and pay in Canadian dollars. They won't let me, US dollars or nothing they said. I explained that the exchange rate meant that I would be paying 30% more plus 5% conversion fee on my credit card; Not interested even when I pointed out that they will also charge me Canadian taxes, in US dollars! I am exploring this further to determine if it's legal. As a result I'm using LR 6 (which I had already bought outright) and PS Elements 13 (also bought).

My question is, what is the best way to open a RAW file in LR to carry out initial adjustments then transfer to PSE for High Pass filter input then return to LR? At the moment when I export from LR, PSE opens the file as a .tiff which won't allow me to use the layer masks needed with the high pass filter. Should I be starting with PSE to run the filter and then transferring to LR? Any workflow suggestions would be much appreciated.

Fred Kingston

If you goto LR's Lightroom Menu, then preferences, then select External Editors, you'll see the default preferences for using PS, and the Tiff format... change it to PSD

I didn't follow you about an American company being required to accept foreign currency. We've lost a lot of freedoms in this country, but I don't think that's one of them........yet...

canuck257

I'm sorry if I implied any insult to the US, that was not my intention. If any company markets a product in a country and charges the taxes levied in that country then said charges and taxes should be in the currency of that country. I am talking about Adobe Canada not Adobe USA. If I was dealing with Adobe US then I would expect to pay in US dollars and NOT pay Canadian taxes also in US dollars which is apparently what is happening here.

Thanks for the LR guidance.

BackdoorArts

FYI, you can sometimes buy yearly subscriptions through companies like B&H that may allow you to pay in Canadian dollars. Amazon also seems to act as a reseller, so check there.

mikew_RIP

I'm sorry if I implied any insult to the US, that was not my intention. If any company markets a product in a country and charges the taxes levied in that country then said charges and taxes should be in the currency of that country. I am talking about Adobe Canada not Adobe USA. If I was dealing with Adobe US then I would expect to pay in US dollars and NOT pay Canadian taxes also in US dollars which is apparently what is happening here.

Thanks for the LR guidance.

Strange problem you have,i can get it in the uk and pay in sterling :confused:

Horoscope Fish

I thought this was an odd problem so I went to the Adobe.ca website and they list all the currencies they accept for CC subscriptions.

Lo and behold, the Canadian dollar is NOT listed even though several others currencies are:
Adobe CA.jpg

canuck257

To be clear, I have no problem paying in US dollars despite the exchange rate difference and the card company levy, but I have a huge problem in paying Canadian taxes in US dollars.

canuck257

FYI, you can sometimes buy yearly subscriptions through companies like B&H that may allow you to pay in Canadian dollars. Amazon also seems to act as a reseller, so check there.

Amazon.com lists CC but only for US customers. Amazon.ca does not list it. B&H lists it for US customers only. Thanks for the thought Jake.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Amazon.com lists CC but only for US customers. Amazon.ca does not list it. B&H lists it for US customers only. Thanks for the thought Jake.

Maybe if you can find someone in the US willing to help out you could wire them the money and they could pay a yearly subscription using your email? Not volunteering - just looking to help you find a way around this mess. You'd think with NAFTA they'd either have to accept Canadian currency or not charge tax.

canuck257

Maybe if you can find someone in the US willing to help out you could wire them the money and they could pay a yearly subscription using your email? Not volunteering - just looking to help you find a way around this mess. You'd think with NAFTA they'd either have to accept Canadian currency or not charge tax.

Hmmmm! a good thought, I do have some friends in Washington State who are susceptible to my smooth tongue:)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
To be clear, I have no problem paying in US dollars despite the exchange rate difference and the card company levy, but I have a huge problem in paying Canadian taxes in US dollars.
That's a good point. I really wonder if US companies do canadian tax reports and send to our government the taxes they collect through websites... Maybe we could report this issue to the Canadian Revenue Agency...