To buy or not to buy (D750 body)

hsiehjon

There is a great Labor Day deal on eBay and it's really making it difficult to resist. The only FX lens I own is the Sigma 1.4 35mm, which is somewhat a problem. I'm looking for an upgrade in lowlight performance, the D5300 just isn't cutting it! haha..

So, to buy or not to buy? Thanks!

Bill16

From all I've heard it is a great model! So if a FX is the direction your going anyway, then a D750 should be a good one to go for! :D

Blacktop

There is a great Labor Day deal on eBay and it's really making it difficult to resist. The only FX lens I own is the Sigma 1.4 35mm, which is somewhat a problem. I'm looking for an upgrade in lowlight performance, the D5300 just isn't cutting it! haha..

So, to buy or not to buy? Thanks!

If you do buy it, (and I'm not saying one way or another) there are a lot of fine AF-D lenses to be had for reasonable prices. No need to spend thousands on a single lens unless you're doing this professionally.

As for low light low noise performance? Yes, you need this camera.

hsiehjon

Well I'm concerned that the I might receive a D750 with the flare issue. And if I do, will I be able to send it to Nikon even though it is grey?

BackdoorArts

You said, "I'm looking for an upgrade in lowlight performance, the D5300 just isn't cutting it!"

Unless you specify what level of "performance" it is you need and post examples of how it is that the D5300 "just isn't cutting it", all you're doing is asking permission to buy D750. Think about it!! There's nothing wrong with that, but with nothing else to go on the question you're asking is, "Is it foolish for a person with only one full frame lens to abandon everything else he owns simply in order to reduce the amount of noise I'm dealing with in low light situations."

Now, I love the D750. It's a great camera for all sorts of things, only one of which low light. But honestly, I'd have to be shooting in such a way that nearly half of my photos are just so noisy that I can no longer bear to work with them before I consider abandoning a format and a bunch of gear to make the change. Why? Here's what you're losing....

• [*=left]A 1.5X reach boost. Shoot a lot at 300mm? Better be ready to fork out some money on something that does 450mm or better or be annoyed that you're cropping all the time.
    [*=left]14MP's until you replace your lenses. Yes, the D750 can shoot with an DX lens, at about 10MP's. Those MP's will be great, but there's just a whole lot less of them.
    [*=left]Bang for the buck. DX glass is SO much cheaper, and so are the cameras. Full frame is an investment - a constant one.

How much are you really willing/wanting to pay for "low light performance"? Do you need best in class in that area? Fine, just know it's going to cost you a couple thousand dollars on top of what you're spending on the body.

Know that no one who has answered you thus far has given you any real information, only permission. I've given you none either, because you gave me none. Why the others didn't ask questions I can't say, but know that they should have.

So, yes, you have my permission to buy a fantastic low light camera if you really, really need it (the camera and/or the permission). That said, if you want to make a smart decision on an upgrade for you low light situation, you're gonna need to give me more to go on than, "the D5300 is not cutting it", including what you're using to try and stem the tide of your noise in post, and maybe who besides you is looking at the photos and saying, "Dude, what's with the noise?!". Maybe $100 spent in noise reduction software is all you need. Unless you just want to buy a new camera, in which case please do.

Blacktop

@BackdoorHippie.
Know that no one who has answered you thus far has given you any real information, only permission. I've given you none either, because you gave me none. Why the others didn't ask questions I can't say, but know that they should have.

Yes, I'm somewhat guilty of this myself, however.
I'm just going by my experience. When faced with this same decision, I asked myself the same questions (and more) while thinking it over.
I knew why I wanted this camera. I knew the lens situation that I will be getting myself into, and I knew the long term cost.

I'm thinking that anyone who is willing to spend this much money, would be doing a lot of research before committing.

BackdoorArts

@BackdoorHippie.

Yes, I'm somewhat guilty of this myself, however.
I'm just going by my experience. When faced with this same decision, I asked myself the same questions (and more) while thinking it over.
I knew why I wanted this camera. I knew the lens situation that I will be getting myself into, and I knew the long term cost.

I'm thinking that anyone who is willing to spend this much money, would be doing a lot of research before committing.

If it sounds like I'm slapping you, or anyone else, I'm really not. I know there's a lot of stuff that goes into making this kind of decision, and some of us do our research here and some behind the scenes, and that's great - and if you don't you've got no one to blame but yourself when you over/under buy.

That said, I stand by my assessment of the original question and the answers given prior to mine. It's easy to tout a great camera. But only Bill came close to speaking to the tall order he was filling for himself - that if FX is a direction he planned to go in...

For me it's akin to someone saying, "I love my minivan but it's just not cutting it in the cornering department. There's this amazing little two seater that a lady only drove on Sundays...", and no one asks how the hell you're gonna get the kids to soccer practice, they just ask if he's had a mechanic look at it and if he knows how much tires are. Sure, it could help him with specifics if he's made his mind up, but it doesn't come close to solving his problem.

hsiehjon

Well, my point is that this is the cheapest I've ever seen a D750 go and I don't want to miss this opportunity. FX is the direction I want to go and I see this as a long-term investment. With the one lens I have, I'm sure I'll still have plenty to shoot :). Plus, we all gotta start somewhere right?