New D750 need a travel lens

dmiller91

I bought the kit lens with my new camera - 24-120mm and I like it just fine for a walking around lens. However, I'm getting ready to go to Hong Kong for a week on business and I think I'll take the camera along.

Any recommendations for lenses to take along for skyline, nights, people, indoor shots?

I have a 50/1.8 prime and a 70-300 zoom, but I'm worried about wide angles and indoors low light.

Thanks!

jwintermoyer

I have the D750. This camera is amazing when it comes to low light. This was my reason for buying it. It sounds like you have a nice selection of lens. I did just get the Nikon 105 micro, which is great for that tight shot, but amazingly sharp for people as well. The 24-120 is very good for the skyline shots, wide angle and most walking around shots. The 300 will capture those more distant Hope to see some of your Hong Kong shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dmiller91

I don't think I want to take all my lenses. I'm thinking about taking the 50 for sure... not sure how the 24-120 will do in low light. the zoom is f4.5-5.6, so I was thinking about leaving it at home actually!

Blacktop

There is only one stop difference between an f/4 and an f/2.8 lens. On the D750 it's pretty much a moot point. So instead of taking a shot at 3200 ISO you take it at 6400 Iso. Not much difference in noise on the D750.

I would take the 24-120 and the 70-300 for sure. If you can take only one, then it would be the 24-120.

Blacktop

I don't think I want to take all my lenses. I'm thinking about taking the 50 for sure... not sure how the 24-120 will do in low light. the zoom is f4.5-5.6, so I was thinking about leaving it at home actually!

Do you have the older 24-120 or is that a typo?

BackdoorArts

Here's a shot from the D750 with the 24-120mm at ISO 12500, straight out of camera with no noise adjustments whatsoever.

Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 7.51.27 AM copy.jpg

I stopped down to f5.6 to remove any softness (not that there's much). Like they said, crank the ISO and shoot.