Lens suggestions for D3300

S_yee

Hi everyone!
I just joined the club so I apologize if this question has already been asked. I just purchased my first DSLR, D3300 and I have been doing a lot of research online and watching a lot of youtube videos to really make use of the best quality it can offer. I have a burning question though. Should I sell my kit len (18-55mm) now and get 18-140mm plus prime lens 35mm? I understand that 18-55mm is a good kit lens to start off but is 18-140mm better for travelling since its has better focal length? I would most probably be taking a lot of family group photos, portraits, landscapes, street photography, architectures and maybe a few macros. Thanks in advance!

nickt

Yes, 18-140. I find the 18-55 an awkward break point for a lens change. I'm way more happier walking around with no particular purpose with the 18-140. The and the 35mm is nice too, can't go wrong with that. Keep a look out for a refurb 18-140, fairly cheap.

paul04

Welcome to the website,

another vote for the 18-140mm lens,
But saying that, the 18-55mm lens is ok and will take some good shots for you, just don't rush into buying a lens, because you think that's what you need, I did that with the 55-200mm lens and the 50mm prime, and now sold them both,

I was going to get the 18-140mm but it was just out of my price range at the time, so I got the 18-105mm lens which is a good lens.

skene

Well I think that everyone has given you great suggestions on where to go. The 18-55 is a great lens to begin with, so do not downplay the lens. The 18-140 or 18-105 would probably be the better choice if you are trying to not switch out lenses so much. I find the most usable range between the 24-70 IMHO. Rarely do I find myself going any further unless dealing with macro or portraiture. However everyone has their own preference in what they shoot and which to shoot with.
GL!

aroy

Hi everyone!
I just joined the club so I apologize if this question has already been asked. I just purchased my first DSLR, D3300 and I have been doing a lot of research online and watching a lot of youtube videos to really make use of the best quality it can offer. I have a burning question though. Should I sell my kit len (18-55mm) now and get 18-140mm plus prime lens 35mm? I understand that 18-55mm is a good kit lens to start off but is 18-140mm better for travelling since its has better focal length? I would most probably be taking a lot of family group photos, portraits, landscapes, street photography, architectures and maybe a few macros. Thanks in advance!

All the type of shots that you have listed rarely need a longer focal length. What few realise is that the 18-55 VR-II lens is an excellent piece of glass, and few zooms less than three times the price can beat it in terms of IQ. You rarely need longer focal lengths side by side with shorter ones, so a 70-200 range is better for those long shots. Regarding Macro, the 18-55 at 55mm can take good macro shots at magnification 0.3. More than that you need a dedicated macro lens, 60mm, 90mm or 105mm depending on the working distance you require.