Strobist Boot Camp III: It's a local thing

Browncoat

I thought we would have some fun here in the Flash forum with our own photo assignments. The Strobist site frequently has challenges, and this one can be found here. It's up to you if you wish to enter the official contest on Flickr, but we can follow the same theme and have our own here on Nikonites. The theme is simple:

For this assignment, you will be required to photograph a local object -- something of significance to your community. As with the first, the most difficult part of the job will be deciding exactly what to shoot -- and why.

Is your region famous for manufacturing something? Do the farmers there grow something that is enjoyed by people far and wide? Is there a physical touchstone or totem that symbolizes your community? A craft? A type of art? An item of historical significance?

Although, please keep the scale manageable. We are talking about an object here.
As this is a Strobist-themed contest, and posted in the Flash forum, you must use flash for your submissions! The purpose here is to learn and experiment with your speedlights. No studio lighting, please.

We're not having any formal judging or anything here. I just thought it might be a fun project.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I love being on assignment, I'm in too! I have something I've been wanting to shoot here in town and this is the perfect excuse, and I'll have to shoot it at night. Do we have a deadline at all? Can we post more than one subject?

Last edited by a moderator:

Browncoat

Do we have a deadline at all? Can we post more than one subject?
Hmm...looks like the official Strobist contest ends on July 31st, which is only 10 days away. Let's make ours for 2 weeks, so the deadline is August 4th. And so that we can gauge interest in something like this and see how many participate, go ahead and submit as many as you want!

AxeMan - Rick S.

DSC_2870-1-1.jpg

Capture.JPG

Ok, after taking this photo and working it up I looked at the entries on the Strobist Flickr Group.

Maybe not what we are looking for here, but I’m going to post it anyway.

This was taken from across the street and the Mural is on the second story of the building. What this challenge as taught me is the power and the range of my SB700. Thanks Anthony for posting this challenge.

I have other Icons in my town and I’m going to try to redo this so my photo matches what I am seeing on the Strobist group Flickr site.

pforsell

I'm in, I just don't know what to shoot yet. English is my third language, but the word "object" in the assignment rules persons out, right?