Noise reduction

Cocolino_pz

Hummm, I also shoot in RAW but I think it applies as there is a huge difference in the time needed for processing the image if the option is ON.

mikew_RIP

Its my understanding your camera only shoots raw,if you want jpeg it converts that raw file for you,i can see that with NR set as on as with other settings and you shooting raw it could possible take longer to create the jpeg preview image that goes on your screen,have you timed it with preview off.

Horoscope Fish

Its my understanding your camera only shoots raw,if you want jpeg it converts that raw file for you,i can see that with NR set as on as with other settings and you shooting raw it could possible take longer to create the jpeg preview image that goes on your screen,have you timed it with preview off.
This is correct. DSLR's always start with a RAW file which is then converted to JPG. This happens even if you only shoot RAW because the preview image is a JPG conversion. In-camera Noise Reduction is a filter applied to the RAW file during the conversion process and for images taken at a very high ISO, or with a very long exposure, the time required to write the image to the memory can be up to twice as long.

Fred Kingston

Mine is OFF on all cameras... I'll do my own steenkin' noise reduction in post if I need it... I rarely get off the camera's base ISO anyway...

Blacktop

Mine is OFF on all cameras... I'll do my own steenkin' noise reduction in post if I need it... I rarely get off the camera's base ISO anyway...

I do the same ,except for the last part.

I can do a much better job reducing noise in post then the camera can ever do. I almost never apply NR to the whole image. It is always selective NR.

aroy

I shoot RAW with all extras off - NR, WB, Distortion, Active D lighting, as it increases speed. All can be adjusted in post if you shoot RAW.