New Purchase Today

06Honda

Back home after some shopping, purchased a Nikon D7200 body and a new NIKON AF-S 80-400MM F/4.5-5.6G ED VR lense, battery charging. Will try out tomorrow at Presqu'ile Park shooting shorebirds. Any suggestions on settings would be helpful, I am thinking AF-C with spot?? Most other settings in menu are straight forward, thanks again.

bandit993

congrats on your new purchase. I have the D7200 and just bought the sigma 150-600mm contemporary today. The 80-400mm is a very good lens I hear. Watch your shutter speeds. keep them up over 1/600 when shooting at the long end.. Look forward to seeing some pics.

Blacktop

Back home after some shopping, purchased a Nikon D7200 body and a new NIKON AF-S 80-400MM F/4.5-5.6G ED VR lense, battery charging. Will try out tomorrow at Presqu'ile Park shooting shorebirds. Any suggestions on settings would be helpful, I am thinking AF-C with spot?? Most other settings in menu are straight forward, thanks again.

Congrats on your purchase. For birds I like AF-C with single focus, matrix or spot metering. (some people prefer AF-C with D-9 /D21 /D51. ) it's a personal preference. On my D7100 I had it set to auto ISO Max 1600, but I would imagine that you can push the D7200 to ISO 3200 without a problem which should give you a nice and fast shutter speed in good light..

Good luck with the new gear.

mikew_RIP

Nice outfit congratulations,i would be looking at spot or matrix and review after a few shots to decide,shutter speed 1/800th to 1/000th to start with VR on and auto ISO up to 3200,in manual.

mikew_RIP

According to Thom Hogan (and others) VR should be turned off at shutter speeds over 1/500 sec.

I can only go by my experience with the 150-600 and tests up to 1/4000th and there was no degradation,it could be different with other lenses, if its the write up i think it is its a few years old and has started a folk law situation,i would expect to find loads more about it if it where 100% accurate.

bandit993

I have heard that you turn off vr only when tripod mounted. Something about vr trying to compensate for movement that isn't there so it creates its own "movement".