D7200 firmware version

cotton32351

I have 2 D7200 bodies, one only a day old. The older body shows on the firmware version screen in center column C 1.00 and L 2.009, after a recent upgrade on firmware by Nikon.
The young body shows on the firmware version screen on the left L0.01 and in center column A 1.0001, B 1.00b, L 2.009 and D 1.000014.
Both are legitimate US versions. Nikon customer service gives no explanation other than to say that everything other than the L 2.009 can be ignored. I've been in computer software for decades, and that response doesn't make sense.
Can anyone provide some insight? Nikon indicates I can send in the young body so they can determine whether a firmware upgrade is needed, but I hate to wait several weeks for a maybe upgrade for a brand new body.

ryan20fun

I believe the "L" version is for lens data and the "C" is for the actual camera firmware
You can check on the Nikon site to see what is the latest version.

Can you be more specific about the firmware?

HTH

Horoscope Fish

I have 2 D7200 bodies, one only a day old. The older body shows on the firmware version screen in center column C 1.00 and L 2.009, after a recent upgrade on firmware by Nikon.
The young body shows on the firmware version screen on the left L0.01 and in center column A 1.0001, B 1.00b, L 2.009 and D 1.000014.
Both are legitimate US versions. Nikon customer service gives no explanation other than to say that everything other than the L 2.009 can be ignored. I've been in computer software for decades, and that response doesn't make sense.
Can anyone provide some insight? Nikon indicates I can send in the young body so they can determine whether a firmware upgrade is needed, but I hate to wait several weeks for a maybe upgrade for a brand new body.
I'm unclear what you're concerned about or what you need explained... ??

As of right now there simply are no firmware updates for the D7200 with the exception of a lens distortion table update. You can check for A/B/D firmware updates for you camera on the Download Center site anytime you want, though, and you certainly don't need to send the camera back to Nikon to get the latest firmware on your camera; firmware updates are consumer-level installs that are very simple to perform.

cotton32351

My concern is that I have 2 different D7200 bodies, one I just purchased, and they have 2 different sets of "firmware versions" on their firmware version screen.
One body just came back from Nikon service with an firmware upgrade reflecting Firmware Version C 1.00 and L 2.009 on that firmware version screen with nothing else on the screen.
The New body indicates on the firmware version screen L0.01 on the left upper corner and in the center column A 1.0001
B 1.00b
L 2.009
D 1.000014
The two screens indicate different levels of firmware on the two machines although Nikon indicates no firmware update available, implying there should be only one level, otherwise they should have indicated the most current level and others need to be upgraded to that level. The sending back to Nikon was Nikon's suggestion not mine. I can do a firmware upgrade if available for me to download.

cotton32351

The latest from the company I purchased the second body from indicates that Nikon Technical Support confirms that "both cameras have the latest firmware updates", and that "A B and D versions are additional aspects that were provided to newer cameras". So, I am assuming that there are some differences in the bodies that required different firmware to make them act alike.