Manfrotto Tripod

AxeMan - Rick S.

If I’m not mistaken the 190XPROB is the smaller lighter version of the 055XPROB which I have. The 055XPROB I’m guessing is heavier and larger version, and I’m also using the “Joystick” head.

Based on reviews / talk I found in some of the older threads is why I bought this set up. I have nothing but good things to say about it, and I know of one other user on this board that uses the “Joystick” head and I believe they also use a Manfrotto tripod.

If your looking to take this on hiking trips, I think the weight factor will come into play. From what I have read the difference is only about a pound between the two models (4 and 5 pounds) I find the 055XPROB heavy, but I knew that when I bought it. I too wanted something well made that would hold my gear stable. I choose to deal with the weight over the cost of a lighter tripod, that my preference.

If your looking for something lighter in weight you might want to think about one of the Carbon Fiber models Manfrotto offers, but that is going to cost you more money. I would stick with the “Joystick” head. Just squeeze it, set your camera in position, let go, and forget it, DONE!

Browncoat

I own the Manfroto 322RC2 head, but use a different tripod. You won't be disappointed with this setup.

The 322RC2 is rock solid. I frequently use it mounted to a D300s w/ battery grip and 70-200 f/2.8 lens...and it never moves. My only complaint is that the head itself is super heavy, but that's the tradeoff for its ruggedness. The tripod listed here seems comparable to the model I have, and it extends to nearly 6ft. tall, which is good. This combo is a great price too!

fripple

Excellent, thanks! I was a bit concerned about the 322RC2 holding up to the weight of big lens. The other head I was looking at was a ball head. 498RC2. I had a crappy tripod from Best Buy and that thing just doesn't cut it. I need something rock solid and it looks like the Manfroto is the way to go. It's just now deciding between the 322RC2 and the 498RC2 head. I like the joystick idea, it seems like you could line up your shots fast.

Browncoat

I would also recommend taking a look at the Manfrotto 222. If I were ever going to get another one, this would be it. I've had the pleasure to use one from time to time and it's very easy to manipulate. It doesn't have the listed capacity of the 322RC2, but I've seen the joystick version used with a Nikon D3 without any issues.