Problem with raynox DCR-250 and 1 lens.

Blacktop

I just got the raynox in the mail today and I've been playing with it.
It works on my 50mm, and on my 70-300mm as well. When I put it on my new 28-105mm it gives a heavy vignetting. I have it at the recommended highest focal length, but it does it at all focal focal lengths. Anyone had this happened? [MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION]? @Pretzel?

Scott Murray

I just got the raynox in the mail today and I've been playing with it.
It works on my 50mm, and on my 70-300mm as well. When I put it on my new 28-105mm it gives a heavy vignetting. I have it at the recommended highest focal length, but it does it at all focal focal lengths. Anyone had this happened? @Scott Murray? @Pretzel?
Honestly I have not had that issue but I do not really use it on anything besides my 50mm and 90mm macro. @105 does it still vignette?

Moab Man

I have used my Raynox on a number of different lenses, and you stated that you have used it on a couple with great success. Knowing this, if you are experiencing heavy vignetting, and assuming it is on correctly (not doubting you), then I would say it has to do specifically with this one lens and its construction, passing of the image through the lens, and finally how it lands on the sensor. Nothing to be fixed or corrected, it just is what it is.

Scott Murray

I have used my Raynox on a number of different lenses, and you stated that you have used it on a couple with great success. Knowing this, if you are experiencing heavy vignetting, and assuming it is on correctly (not doubting you), then I would say it has to do specifically with this one lens and its construction, passing of the image through the lens, and finally how it lands on the sensor. Nothing to be fixed or corrected, it just is what it is.

I am thinking at 105mm it shouldn't vignette but you are right all lenses are different and will give different results.

Blacktop

WOW! Thanks guys for the quick responses. here is a shot. OH BTW. I love this new 28-105mm D lens.

_DSC2345.jpg

Moab Man

I am thinking at 105mm it shouldn't vignette but you are right all lenses are different and will give different results.

My line of thinking... Some lenses the glass sits in different locations in the tube. For example, on our Tamron 90mm the end glass is set back quite a ways. Other lenses the last piece of glass is right at the end of the tube. With this one lens that has the heavy vignetting I'm thinking there is something specific to this lens and how it is constructed that maybe it pulls from farther out on the edges of the glass, relative to the Raynox, thus picking up a heavy vignette. That's my best theory.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Have you tried it at 105mm at different focus distances?

Yes Scott. I tried it every which way I could. It is really a shame, because I really like this lens and I got the Raynox with that in mind. I could walk around with the 28-105, and if I see something that I might want to take a macro shot of, it would be an easy snap on for that purpose. Oh well!.

At least the 28-105 is a half a macro in itself, It has 0.5X magnification between 50-105mm with a flip of a switch. I tried it already and it works fantastic. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow in daylight outside.

Bill16

Awesome! I'm glad your really liking your new lens my friend! :)

Yes Scott. I tried it every which way I could. It is really a shame, because I really like this lens and I got the Raynox with that in mind. I could walk around with the 28-105, and if I see something that I might want to take a macro shot of, it would be an easy snap on for that purpose. Oh well!.

At least the 28-105 is a half a macro in itself, It has 0.5X magnification between 50-105mm with a flip of a switch. I tried it already and it works fantastic. I can't wait to try it out tomorrow in daylight outside.

Pretzel

You're gonna LOVE the Raynox more and more every time you use it!

As far as the vignette... I get it on the short end of my 18-55, but it goes away at the 55 end. My only guess would be that the final glass inside the 28-105 sits quite a bit further back from the end of the lens than do your others? I'll admit that I'm not at all familiar with the lens, though. Is it internal zoom (would be rare)? It IS internal focus, but that shouldn't change much...

I know I've used it everywhere from 70-300 on my big zoom, and get no vignette there, and it's a bit bigger filter wise (67 mm), so I'm stumped. :)

Bourbon Neat

For a short while I was using the Sigma 105mm macro on the D5500 body with a lens hood first and then the Raynox. The lens hood was 2-1/8" in length. On the dx body it showed no vignetting, had it been fx body it might have. The Sigma includes a dx hood and a wider fx hood.

Blacktop

I'm still going to get a dedicated macro lens. I'm using the raynox with this lens now in DX mode, which is fine, but I need to get right up the bugs ass with it. I have practically no working distance. it's .7 feet from the sensor plus the 2.5X of Raynox, and i'm scaring the shit out of critters.

I have to take the lens out of macro mode to be able to shoot with the Raynox.

_DSC2703-Edit (667x1000).jpg

Last edited: