D3300 with 18-55mm kit lens - photos blurry on right side

sw96815

Hi,

I recently purchased a D3300 with the 18-55mm kit lens. While conducting my first tests, I noticed that on photos taken at 35mm and above, the right side of the photos is always blurry
compared to the left. In the shots linked below, the statue on the right is noticeably blurry compared to the one on the left.
This happens regardless of whether I focus using the viewfinder, Live View or even manual focus.
Could this be a defect or am I doing something wrong? If the issue was simple camera shake, I would expect the whole picture to be affected, not just the right side.
I do realize I shouldn't expect too much from a kit lens, but this seems a bit too much of a visible flaw, especially for a kit lens that received positive reviews.

1/640s f/8.0 ISO200
Bilder-Upload - Kostenlos Fotos hochladen und ins Netz stellen

1/400s f/10.0 ISO200

1/2000s f/8.0 ISO400

1/1000s f/8.0 ISO200

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, from the looks of it I'm tempted to say that you might have a problem with the lens-sensor alignment. Did you buy this camera new? Is is still warrantied? If yes, then I'd send it in for repair. Now, if you bought it used, I would be suspicious that the camera was dropped and it bent the lens mount.
Or it could be the lens that has a problem. The sure way to find out would be to conduct the same test with a prime lens (50 mm) and see from there. This is the only way to find out if it's the lens or the body that has a problem. But I think you do have a problem when I look at your pictures.

Hope this helps a bit.

sw96815

Thank you for your reply. The camera was bought new from Amazon just a week ago, so it is under warranty and I could also simply return it at this point.
Before I get it exchanged or repaired, I just wanted to make sure that this isn't "expected behavior" for this lens/camera. It is a strange issue, since it is not visible at 16mm at all,
and also does not even always happen at 35mm and above.
With this particular shot of the the dome and statues however, I took over 50 shots at different apertures, VR on/off and different focus points. The right side was blurry in every single one.

Horoscope Fish

Thank you for your reply. The camera was bought new from Amazon just a week ago, so it is under warranty and I could also simply return it at this point.
Before I get it exchanged or repaired, I just wanted to make sure that this isn't "expected behavior" for this lens/camera. It is a strange issue, since it is not visible at 16mm at all,
and also does not even always happen at 35mm and above.
With this particular shot of the the dome and statues however, I took over 50 shots at different apertures, VR on/off and different focus points. The right side was blurry in every single one.
Return it. What I'm seeing is NOT to be expected. Zoom lenses are frequently softer at wide angles, especially in the corners, but what I'm seeing in your photos is simply unacceptable. Since you're inside your return window with Amazon, I'd tell you to get an exchange. Absolutely. Amazon will make this about as painless as you could hope for.

Glevum Owl

I've had my D3300 for a little over a year and can say with confidence that there is a fault with your kit. Horoscope Fish is absolutely right: return and exchange it ASAP.

aroy

As you have said, the problem appears after 35mm zoom. So it is a lens problem. If possible return lens only and get another one, otherwise return the kit and get a new one.