85mm 1.8 AF-S vs ??

Gobae

Every now and then I stumble upon mention of a lower priced 85mm 1.8 that is comparable or out performs the Nikon. But for the life of me I can't remember the manufacturer nor have I been successful with a forum/google search. Does anyone have any ideas? Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Every now and then I stumble upon mention of a lower priced 85mm 1.8 that out is comparable or out performs the Nikon. But for the life of me I can't remember the manufacturer nor have I been successful with a forum/google search. Does anyone have any ideas? Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering?
I'm betting you're simply mis-remembering.

The Nikon 85mm f/1.8G is the sharpest 85mm prime in the DxOMark database and while DxO is not the be-all-end-all it's still pretty good confirmation, generally speaking, I'd say.

BackdoorArts

I've heard folks swear that the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 is a great bang for the buck portrait lens. A little soft at 1.4 but stopped to 1.8 and it's great. A little more than 1/2 the price of the Nikon, but at $450 I wouldn't say the Nikon is actually "expensive" for what you're getting.

Gobae

After looking at the reviews it appears it was the Samyang 1.4 I was thinking of. But it's manual focus which is probably why I initially discounted it.

Regardless, it looks like the Nikon is the way to go. So I'll just start saving my pennies. With limited disposable income it's nice to know that I haven't overlooked something!

Thanks guys!

hrstrat57

Keep an eye on your LCS!

I see the 85 1.8 both D and G often in mine, lots of folks trade them in for upgrade to the 1.4 versions tho I have no idea why......