Battery life on D7200

gosisd

Hello,

I have the D7200 for few days now. It looks like the battery has much shorter life than I expected. I shot maybe 300 shots and the battery is dead.
Do you have any idea what might be the reason for it? Am I doing something wrong?
I didn't use flash & I took small size pic on Auto mode.
Thanks.

Horoscope Fish

Hello,

I have the D7200 for few days now. It looks like the battery has much shorter life than I expected. I shot maybe 300 shots and the battery is dead.
Do you have any idea what might be the reason for it? Am I doing something wrong?
I didn't use flash & I took small size pic on Auto mode.
Thanks.
Was the battery fully charged before you started taking photos?

Lots of things use the battery but the biggest killer is probably the rear LCD screen. If you spend a lot of time looking at photos you'll eat the battery a lot faster. Using Live View, taking long exposure shots and video are also a big drain on the battery.

Or you could have a bum battery.

gosisd

Thank you guys.
I did charge it twice already (overnight, so it was charged in full). Prior to upgrading to my new D7200 I read some reviews and it was stating 1,100 photos.. It just caught me by surprise as my old D70 was shooting 600-700 photos without any issues.
I will try to turn off the Wi-Fi and use some of Paul's advice.
If nothing help, I will get a spare battery.
Thanks again.

mikew_RIP

Can only relate to using the D7100 and to be fair i would get 500 shots no problem so it could be you have a fault,if you use the LCD have you got the brightness set high as i believe that uses more power.

gosisd

Thank you Mike.
As for your advice, I just turned the LCD to -2. It was bright before. I hope it will help.
I also saw the option in the menu to monitor the performance of the battery + number of shots etc. I will monitor I hope to get better results out of it.
Thanks again.
Danny

BackdoorArts

WiFi is a battery killer, though I believe the D7200 operates differently than other cameras like my Sony a6000 where an already dismally performing battery can get chewed down like lightning with the wrong settings.

The D7200 has the same battery as every Nikon I own (that's a lot), with the D750 being the closest in features, and I can routinely shoot several hundred to 1000 shots without replacing the battery. I recently had my D7100 on a tripod for 3 days shooting a nest of bluebirds fledging and while I replaced the battery in the Sony 9 times in that time (they were triggered together) I only had to replace the D7100 battery once, and that was more precautionary after 2 days and at least 1300 shots than something necessary.

LCD brightness and review time will definitely impact, as will shooting in Live View. I never turn my camera off and see no battery drain even after a week of non-use. If it's laid down on something soft realize that partial depression of a button can cause the camera to never go into a rest state, so while it will be slow the battery will drain because viewfinder LEDs will be lit.

Bourbon Neat

Everything draws power from that battery except a hot shoe flash, is that a correct statement? Both displays, auto focus, popup flash, vibration reduction, light metering, wifi, sensor, mirror flip, shutter actuation and all processor duties. Maybe more, commander mode, etc...

Do you have another battery to try out for comparison? Capturing just 300 seems rather low in comparison to the D7200 here, although I have not gone down to dead on any occasion. I have two with the alternate always ready to go so when the indicator shows it is nearing the end, it gets swapped out.

gosisd

Thanks Jake,
I was not using Live View. However I did change the settings for my LCD to be less bright.. And I shot down the Wi-Fi.
I will monitor and if needed I get another battery together with new grip.

Horoscope Fish

Everything draws power from that battery except a hot shoe flash, is that a correct statement? Both displays, auto focus, popup flash, vibration reduction, light metering, wifi, sensor, mirror flip, shutter actuation and all processor duties. Maybe more, commander mode, etc...
Generally speaking I believe that is correct.

I'm also pretty sure most DSLR's also have a separate, internal, clock-battery that keeps the date and time correct so you don't lose that information every time you change out the battery in the camera body. And while I can't be 100% certain, I don't think that battery powers anything else on the camera; it just powers the internal clock.

Woodyg3

Contributor
My guess is the wi-fi was the battery killer. I always get over 1000 shots per charge with my D7200. I almost never use the built in flash, and I have picture review turned off.

gosisd

Thanks Woody,
I turned the wi-fi off. I'll give it another try and I'll see what happens..
I do like the option to review my pictures, so I prefer to continue use pic review. Saying that, the D70 I used had no issues at all for a very long time, while the picture review was always working.

TheCROW

First couple of charges the battery won't have 100% capacity, and the inner battery will draw some power in order to charge for the first time.
My guess is that you will get better battery life once you have turned off WiFi and turned down the screen brightness.
Keep us posted!

altenik

Hi.

I you are worrying about your battery age and number of shots look at Menu->Setup menu->Battery Info for information on the battery currently inserted in the camera.