Focus Query

Welshy74

Took some hockey shots last night but not that impressed with them. Lighting was an issue but struggled keeping up with them. Was sat just to the side of the goals. Would you set your focal length and let them skate into it or try and follow by adjusting focus as they come towards you. Which i tried but found i couldnt adjust quick enough. I was shooting handheld with my D7200 and 70-200f2.8 so I know its not the equipment thats the issue but stumped on how to improve it.

RocketCowboy

I'm assuming you used AF-C for auto focus?

You could do zone focusing like you mentioned, or try to capture the skaters more when going left to right (or right to left) rather than toward/away from your position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you using Back Button Focus? If not then you need to try it. It works great for this kind of shooting. Holding the button in puts it in AF-C and releasing the button locks it onto the last place you focused. Great for maintaining a set focus point (Zone) while still having Auto Focus available to you at the touch of the thumb. I use it for Bird In Flight which I imanage is very close to hockey.

Welshy74

Yes Don I do use bbf. The problem i have is if i focus on a player and they skate towards me at speed i cant turn the focus ring quick enough. Im assuming you keep the bbf on whilst the player is in motion?

Lawrence

Yes Don I do use bbf. The problem i have is if i focus on a player and they skate towards me at speed i cant turn the focus ring quick enough. Im assuming you keep the bbf on whilst the player is in motion?

Why are you turning the focus ring? Are you not using AF-C as @RocketCowboy suggested.
With BBF simply focus on the skater and follow him with BBF depresses - shoot away, the camera should remain locked on the subject as he moves

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
But if hes skating towards me wont he get too big for the shot as he gets closer? Think i mean zoom ring not focal
From this, I think you are moving the zoom ring. I am no expert, but I would set my zoom for the closest point and use BBF. Crop after the fact to size the distant shots. I wouldn't mess with the zoom ring unless time allowed (and from what you have said, it doesn't. Ha!)

Lawrence

But if hes skating towards me wont he get too big for the shot as he gets closer? Think i mean zoom ring not focal

They do grow up quickly don't they? :)

Seriously though just shoot when he is lttle in the frame and keep shooting until he is too big.
"Too Big" is defined as when he skates into you. :)

Anticipate how close they might be and just don't zoom in that tight unless you know they are not coming to you. BBF will work perfectly for what you are shooting. The guys above gave you some very good advice.