DSLR Suggestion please

ssjsushil

Hi,

I'm new to photography and looking to buy my first DSLR. With some research, I decided to go with either Nikon D5300 or D7200.

When I compared their technical specs, below are the notable advantages of D7200 over D5300

• Faster Shutter Speed (1/8000 vs 1/4000)
  • Built in Focus Motor (Yes vs No)
  • Focus Points (51 vs 39)
  • FPS (6 vs 5)
  • Higher ISO
  • Price with 18-140mm lens ($950 vs $1500)
  • Even though the battery life is better in D7200, I can compensate by getting an extra battery if needed.

Now, I'm confused weather its a good idea to spend that extra $550 on D7200 or invest them on a prime lens like Nikon 50mm and a good zoom lens like Nikon 70-300mm.

Being a beginner, I want to learn the basics of photography. I'm interested in shooting Landscapes, Travel and Basic Wildlife.

Please advice. Greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you.

Bill16

I would choose the D7200 over the D5300, and I think you'll find the controls much more convenient. I have the D7100 and I once had the D5100, and the D7100 wins hands down, which I believe the D7200 would win over the D5300 too! :)

WayneF

Now, I'm confused weather its a good idea to spend that extra $550 on D7200 or invest them on a prime lens like Nikon 50mm and a good zoom lens like Nikon 70-300mm.

Price is always a factor, but your list leaves out some big things.

Commander, FV Lock, faster sync shutter, HSS, flash has lots more options, etc.
Ability to use older lenses. The D5500 has to have AF-S lenses. Which are new and great, but lots of old lenses exist. (Oops, you said that. But there is also older non-CPU lenses too... or like maybe a telescope).
Options like Interval timer, mirror up, Depth of field preview, function button, etc.
Oops, I think D5300 has Interval timer. But there are several things that the D3xxx and D5xxxx cannot do, but the D7xxx and the bigger boys can do. I think that other than FX sensor, D7200 has all that Nikon offers.
Having convenient outside buttons for ISO and WB, etc.
Having an extra front wheel, front is aperture and rear is shutter (instead of D3xxx and D5xxx having to hold some button down to access one of them in manual mode), etc.
Just plain handy.

My list is surely incomplete too. :)

Someone just using Auto mode to point and shoot won't know or care, the extras would be wasted. But someone that gets into it more, and wants to do things, will care. If you really want to learn things, the D7200 offers great room to grow into. But it comes at a price. Just saying, if you plan to grow for a few years, you will care. Buying one now is less expensive than buying another in a year (and paying for both).

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

The D7200 gets my vote, you need to think about the fact it will not produce better pictures than the D5300,it may be easier to use in the long run and will no doubt allow you to be more creative a lot easier, unless you get the changing gear bug it will last a lot of years.

aroy

D5xxx are not worth it, unless finances are constrained. D7200, or may be D750 if you want to do a lot of landscapes.

RocketCowboy

Interestingly, you didn't mention the two features that originally had me pick the D5300 over the D7100; Wifi and GPS.

Couple of questions:
Do you plan to shoot manual or auto?
Do you own any existing Nikon lenses?
Do you plan to acquire multiple specialized lenses, or try to stay with more of a generalize all-around lens?

Both are great cameras, but I would probably match the D5500 with the D7200. My personal preference is the D7xxx bodies, but my wife prefers the D5300. All depends on your wants, since both bodies can produce excellent images.

hrstrat57

On sale now Nikon USA also check refurbs.....

Nikon D5500 | Touch Screen Camera | Compact DSLR w/ Built-in Wi-Fi

D7100 Nikon Digital Camera| Digital SLR Camera from Nikon

I would choose D7100 for $150 more......my favorite glass is Nikon D as you can see from my signature - cannot focus on the 5000 or 3000 series cams. I got into Nikon pro level fast glass cheaply and quickly.

Regardless of what I say pick one and shoot. D7100, D7200 or D5500 will do spectacular things! Just remember AF-S glass limitation which could leave you spending more money in the long run.

D610 price has dropped too and if landscape is your primary goal you should consider......same controls essentially as D7xxxx series..... but of course you'll want only FX glass. D610 is also on sale at Nikon USA ..... deals can be found elsewhere of course as well.

benjamin.ho.395017

The D7200 for the reason you can use regular AF lenses vs AF-S. For example compare the price of the nikon 80-400 versions i just cannot see myself buying the AF-S version

Vincent

... All depends on your wants, since both bodies can produce excellent images.
+1

The D7XXX will be easier to work, but without good glass, difficult to get great pictures. The D5XXX will probably allow you to invest more in glass, but get a bit on your nerves in controls. I'm fan of more glass (if you really want to learn learn to work manual and taking your time).

Landscapes, Travel and Basic Wildlife.

Landscape, you can do in different ways. I guess the 18-105 + 70-300 is a good start to see what you like. However they will probably disappoint you in the long run. 35mm f1.8 DX is a good cheap reference to see what is different.

Travel: 18-105 did it for me, but on events I found I needed f2.8 so went for a Tamron 28-75.

Wildlife: 18-105 + 70-300 is a good start, calculate as will on tripod, etc