The D300S Experience

Eye-level

Banned
I was very very fortunate today in that we had a great family get together to celebrate the patriarch's 91st birthday and I got to throw an old Nikkor 28 lens on a D300S and make a few shots! I also got to have a good look at the Nikkor 28-300...

Very impressive...I can't wait to get the pics! :)

I found the body ergonomics to be pretty darn good I think I could hold onto that camera better than I could hold onto my F2...with the old AI prime on manual mode it started spitting out decent pics (as far as I could tell via the LCD display) no sweat....easy to focus IMO despite the wide FL...No pre AI stuff allowed though apparently!

I shot with the FE + flash today so it will be interesting to juxtapose the digital and the electric shutter film...

I'll try and get some photos thrown up in the next few days...

You folks that have D300S bodies have a pretty darn nice camera!!!

fotojack

I would love to own a D300. In your opinion, what would be the major benefits over the D200? I know the D300S has video capabilities, but I'm not interested in video. Other than that.........any major differences that would make me want to sell the D200 and get a D300? Thanks for any incites on the subject.

Browncoat

You folks that have D300S bodies have a pretty darn nice camera!!!
Yes. Yes, we do.

And Jack, truth be told, the D300s is more of a comparison to the D3 than anything else in the Nikon lineup. The D300s is also a better buy. Unless you need insanely high FPS, FX format, or need low noise ISO 6400 shots, then you don't "need" the D3.

D300s vs. D200
The D300s has better color, better details in the highlights and shadows, more battery life, a better viewfinder and LCD display, faster FPS, and sharper images than the D200. There's really not much of a comparison between them.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I would love to own a D300. In your opinion, what would be the major benefits over the D200? I know the D300S has video capabilities, but I'm not interested in video. Other than that.........any major differences that would make me want to sell the D200 and get a D300? Thanks for any incites on the subject.

Oh I see NAS lurking around the corner here… :)

Eye-level

Banned
When I am finally able to go digital I am going for the D300S. I've shot D5000...D40...D90 and those were ok and I've always wanted a D700 but I was very impressed with the whole look, feel, and action of the D300S particulary in regard to my newer manual focus Nikkors mounted on the camera...just downright excellent! I could carry my F2 and gear and a D300S and have matrix metering...get a 50/1.4AF and some type of long zoom and I would have just about every situation covered with some heavy firepower.

Jack I am like you I have no particular interest in video that is why I like the D700 so much...good old plain vanilla is the way I like to roll...

Last edited:

jcottone45

When I took the plunge from my old FE to my D300s I had no idea what I was in for, I love the D300s, I use all my old lenses with no problem at all.Video is an extra I hardly use though it worked out well too I never thought I'd be able to switch to video & back & still get great pics & very good video too,though I myself am not a video guy.Just having it at my finger tips is good.I never had any other nikon digital camera to compare to so I can only say try it I think you'll like it.
I hear now that the D300s will be discontinued soon & replaced by the D400, so I guess I'll go the way of the DoDo with my D300s only with a smile.

fotojack

So I guess the way to go is the D300S then. Better bargain, eh? OK.....I'll have to save like crazy, or......wait and see who's dumping their D300S for an upgrade or something. :) Please stand by....this may take awhile. :)

Eye-level

Banned
So I guess the way to go is the D300S then. Better bargain, eh? OK.....I'll have to save like crazy, or......wait and see who's dumping their D300S for an upgrade or something. :) Please stand by....this may take awhile. :)

Yes Jack...please hurry though...you know you could sell your D200 for dirt cheap if you get a D300S! ;)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Nikon is going to have to absolutely blow me away to get me to consider replacing my D300. And if I were to, my silly brother thinks I'll give him this one like I did with my D70s. Riiiiiiight.

Ruidoso Bill

My D300 has been an absolute workhorse of a camera, never complains just does everything quite well. I still bring my D200 along as a backup/different lens setup camera but to be honest it isn't getting a lot of actuations added.

fotojack

I was offered a D300 this afternoon by a photographer acquaintance for $850. Oh why wasn't I born rich instead of so devilishly good looking? :(
And he won't take payments. :(