pre-wedding photo ideas??

Ellie

so my friends sister asked me to take photos of all the girls getting ready...as i'm 15 now by the time of the wedding i'll have done my photography GCSE so I should be a bit better!
anyway if you guys have any tips and any of your wedding/pre-wedding photos pleaseeee share them!
also i'll probably be using the d7200 so what lenses would be good for doing this!
it will most likely be the first bit of photography I do for someone so I'm a little nervous but pretty excited :)

thank youuuuuuu

Geoffc

so my friends sister asked me to take photos of all the girls getting ready...as i'm 15 now by the time of the wedding i'll have done my photography GCSE so I should be a bit better!
anyway if you guys have any tips and any of your wedding/pre-wedding photos pleaseeee share them!
also i'll probably be using the d7200 so what lenses would be good for doing this!
it will most likely be the first bit of photography I do for someone so I'm a little nervous but pretty excited :)

thank youuuuuuu

I'm no expert on wedding photography and others here are more experienced than I but here are a few thoughts.

Firstly, the lens question. Ideally for a DX camera a 35mm (F1.8 or 2.8) or wider prime lens would be good for indoors in bedrooms etc.
I would also have a little think about flash, preferably not just the pop up type but one you can bounce off a wall or ceiling to avoid the horrors of on camera flash. If you have flash you can then get away with a slower 18-xx zoom lens.

I think the most important thing is to try practice shots in the same rooms (Or similar) with a willing subject so you can get a feel for how the light will look and can be modified. It will also get you thinking about poses and any natural window light. I think the most important thing is getting the light right so you have well exposed pictures with no nasty shadows. When practicing you can get the ISO, aperture and shutter speeds somewhere near where you need them. If you do use a flash you can pretty much choose whatever ISO, aperture or shutter speed you want.

Sorry if this seems a bit basic, but you want it to be simple and relatively predictable on the day so you can still enjoy the wedding and not start breaking into a sweat because everything is under exposed, out of focus etc.

carguy

Great advice above for sure.

If you don't already, consider a Yongnuo YN565EXN-USA i-TTL flash to use on camera and bounce the light off of the ceilings/walls for a much better result than the on camera flash unit. This flash is affordable ($84 with US warranty) and will serve you for years to come.

Link: Amazon.com: B00I44F59A

RocketCowboy

Agree with Geoff ... for the getting ready portion prior to the wedding, it's likely to be in a fairly confined space. Having a wide angle lens will be of benefit. The thing to remember, the 35mm/f1.8 prime DX lens still have an effective focal length of over 50mm on the D7200, so even that may not be wide enough ... but going wider you need to watch for lens distortion.

I also like Joe's recommendation for an external flash, something like the Yongnuo YN565EX or the YN568EX (I personally use the 568EX, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 565EX on a budget).

If you can get in and see the venue before the wedding day, that will probably also help give you some ideas on where you want to set up and how you might frame the shots.

rocketman122

thank youuuuuuu

is there a hired pro? or are you just doing a few pics friends asked of you or the whole wedding? did you say youre 15YO?

lenses, depends. indoors outdoors. personally I dont recommend anything less than pro 2.8 zooms. you could use primes as well.

kevy73

Photograph the details. The dress before it is on. The shoes, the engagement ring. Any cards or flowers that have been sent to the bride form the groom. Photograph the flowers... makeup being applied, hair being done. Champagne being opened etc.

Lots and lots and lots of details for that part of the wedding as well as the bride and bridal party getting ready.

lots of getting ready prewedding pics on my wedding gallery Weddings - kevinmcginn

Ellie

i'm just doing photos in the morning before the actual wedding so photos of everyone getting ready so at the wedding there will be a hired pro there haha and the photos are mostly likely going to be indoors