D3100 case/bag recommendations?

Toppers

a good case/bag for my safari to store my D3100 and a 55-300 lens attached while I am out and about in the landrover or whatever we are traveling in?

Tried looking but there appears to be quite a range

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

You're going to be adding to your lens collection eventually, so do the smart thing and get a bag that will accommodate any future lenses you will acquire. Why spend money twice? :) I would recommend the Lowepro 202 or even the slightly larger 303 model. Do a Google on either one. There is a video on each one showing its versatility.

Browncoat

You need to narrow this down a bit. Being more specific as to your needs will help everyone recommend a good solution for you.

Are you just wanting something to hold your gear while inside the vehicle? In that instance, a hard case or square bag would be more appropriate. Or are you wanting something that you can grab and take along with you outside of the vehicle? Usually then a backpack or slingpack is needed.

Is there a type that you prefer over another? Backpack (bothshoulders) vs. slingpack or carry bag (1 shoulder) for example?

And Jack brings up a good point, too. You will eventually acquire more gear, and new bags ain't cheap! You want a storage solution that is actually bigger than your current needs so that you can grow into it.

Toppers

well that slingback is my must have eventually, unfortunatly weight limit is a factor on safari :D so looking to keep it simple for now (also wife wants me to get some thing smaller than my current bag free with the camera)

Rick M

I use a photo backpack for general storage with all my gear. When I am traveling light with just the one lens I use a promaster form fitting case (about $20.00). This gives me some protection and the camra comes out quickly for shooting. This is great for hiking and such where you might bump into something.

DSC_0003_352.JPG
DSC_0001_350.JPG]

Attachments

• 2043.JPG
    2043.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 478

Will V|Photography

While I can't help you too much with your search, I do have a question for you.

well that slingback is my must have eventually, unfortunatly weight limit is a factor on safari :D so looking to keep it simple for now (also wife wants me to get some thing smaller than my current bag free with the camera)

I'm assuming I got the same Nikon bag with my kit that you got with yours. In mine I have the dividers set-up to snugly store the camera body and the the two lenses on their sides. I'm not really a fan of this setup though and was wondering if you would mind posting how you have yours arranged. Just for comparison.

Toppers

if its the Trek 2 yes. I did have it so I can have the camera and 18-55 fitted laid down and the partition foldd back with other bits in it. However now I have to figure a new layout......

Will V|Photography

I've actually left my house with it for the weekend and it's a nice case for traveling. Just my $.02 seeing as you are in the market for a new bag. Not too big but it keeps everything secure and it has velcro dividers so you can expand your "collection". ;)

What would be the "ideal" bag you're looking for?

Browncoat

The Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW is awesome. Both fotojack and PavementPilot have recommended it here and I used to own one as well. It's a smaller bag, so weight isn't going to be an issue. It's a very nice sling pack that won't slow you down should you need to take it out on safari. It's cool because you can just swing it off your shoulder and the bag is in front of you, right at your waist, and the camera access pocket is right there.

If you're looking for something more substantial, I upgraded to the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. It's double the bag @ double the price, and probably a bit much for your current needs...but you won't outgrow it as fast. Dual straps, waist belt for added support, and tons of space. It's also rather heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berkerk

Hi Toppers. You should checkout Kata bags, especially the 3N1 series. They function as either a regular sling bag, with the option of a left or right handed setup or as a backpack (there are two straps). I also like the quick open feature.