Tokina 12-24mm Wide Angle getting stuck,,,any suggestions ???

Nikonite1222

Hi All-

I was at the Dayton Air Force Museum today and did a bunch of shooting with a Tokina 12-24mm Wide Angle lens and as luck would have it, On my last shoot before leaving, I went to compose a shot and as I turned the ring to move between 12 and 24 mm, I felt like a spring want to pull the lens back to the place where I started from. It's like feeling resistance while your trying to turn the ring. So,,,like any smart photographer would do,,I immediately turned off the camera and promptly took off the lens, as I tilted it back and forth, I could hear a piece of something moving around inside but I couldn't see it. And further more,,,sometimes (I guess), if the piece was out of the way,,,the lens would work great again.

All other functions work great, (Aperture, Auto Focus, etc.).

So,,,has anybody else had a problem with this ??? Or know what it might be???

Any advice would be great. thank you for looking

Sincerely- Doug

Joseph Bautsch

A rattling lens is not good. Something loose inside can damage the coatings on one or more of the elements. Since only Superman has x-ray vision to see what is happening I would take the lens to a professional camera repair shop and have it looked at.

Nikonite1222

Cool !!! That's what I thought. I just wanted to see if there was anything that might be something that is common with these lens or if this was something that might happen a-lot these lenses and wanted to see if others could expand on any experience they have gone through.