Star Trail Photos

Bounce

How do you do a star trail photo? I've got a wireless remote shutter release instead off holding down the release button in case of movement but when in Bulb info comes 'subject is to dark' and the remote wont release shutter for as long as i want? who ever replies i hope this sort of makes sense.

MartinCornwall

In bulb mode you need to press the remote to open the shutter and press it again to close the shutter, unless you have mirror up mode enabled where you would press once to raise the mirror and a 2nd press to open the shutter. Bulb mode is not the ideal thing for Star Trails. Use the following as a guide

Lens wide open, or stopped down a little for extra clarity
30 secs exposure
Manual mode and manual focusing
Iso as high as your camera can go before noise gets unacceptable
Lock the release on the remote and let it fire away. Bear in mind that most nikons are limited to a release of 100 frames so you over come this by unlocking and relocking the button if you want longer trails.
Drop all the files into starstax and it will create the trail for you.
Bear in mind that you might not get a 30 sec exposure if you live in an area with bad light pollution.

MartinCornwall

Try to get some foreground interest so it's not just a shot of the sky. This is an example pointing towards the North/South divide ( facing West), or you can face North and get circular trails around Polaris (North Star)

148GannelStarTrail59MinsPS2.jpg

oldsalt

Saw this thread and thought I'd give it a go... threw on my 14mm and set up in my backyard (unfortunately I'm in the city but hey it's only practice) first shot was just to see what the light was like..
untitled-1-398.jpg

then I did about eighteen short exposures (about 7 secs each) and stacked them using Starstax (for the first time !) and here it is... lots more practice to do but hey it's fun !!!
untitled-1-397.jpg

oldsalt

Can't wait to get out in the countryside on a nice dark night - with no clouds - and give this a much longer go...
cheers