Can someone confirm this about the d5500?

Blade65

Hi,

Am currently researching a new DLSR and was looking at the D5500.

On DPreview, a user mentioned this:

"The live view shows what the ovf sees, if you change the exposure & other settings, there's no way of seeing the changes made to the picture directly live, you have to take the picture first & then see the change"

Could someone confirm this?

Fred Kingston

I think that's true...

LV doesn't mean the aperture is continuously changing... it only 'closes' when the shutter fires... so if you change the aperture while in LV, what you see on the LCD does not change...

There have been many discussions about this... and folks that have bought DSLRs for video have been disappointed... If your main consideration is Video... maybe you should look elsewhere...

Last edited:
There has been a lot of confusion on this. Here is how it works on my D3300 (which I would assume is the same on the D5500).

The reason you do not see a change in LV when you change the Aperture, is because you can't change aperture in LV. When you change the aperture in LV, the aperture isn't set until you release the shutter. The shot will be taken with the newly set aperture, and LV will return showing that aperture (it just won't show the change ahead of taking a shot). You can however change ISO and shutter speed in LV and see the exposure changes.

The only exception to this is shooting movies. If you adjust the aperture and then hit the movie button, the aperture will not change as it does when taking a still. You either have to take a still, or exit LV change the aperture, and return to LV to start movie recording with the correct aperture.

Capisce?

Last edited:

Blade65

Thank you for the replies,

So just to confirm, I will be able to see all exposure changes in the viewfinder (iso, shutter speed, aperture) but using LV just iso and shutter speed whilst any aperture changes will be seen after taking the current shot.

Stills are the primary consideration for this camera so am not too bothered about the video, though the video function will come in useful.

Thanks again

Fred Kingston

No...First, let's define "see"... Videographers are used to seeing the exposure changes reflected in their viewfinders as a "darkening/lightening" of the screen when they change the aperture settings... THAT is NOT what you see in a DSLR as a normal course of action. You can see that plus the softening of DOF if you use/press the programmable Function button as a "Preview"... What you "see" in the Viewfinder will be the same as what you'll "see" on the Live View LCD display.

I'm not trying to be pedantic... just extremely clear as to what you'll be getting with these cameras...

Blade65

Hey Fred,

Thanks for the reply, you've cleared a lot up for me (pedantic is good)

I used to shoot an canon EOS 300 film slr and then went from that to a cheap canon bridge camera the powershot a720is and got too used to the live view screen, never using the viewfinder, it being too small, and as a result got used to seeing all the ev changes in LV. I guess it will be a mini learning curve for me then

dennybeall

If the D5500 does as good a job with video as the D5300 you'll be happy I suspect. If it turns out a tad dark or something you can run the video through Photoshop and apply filters and other goodies to make it the way you want.

dmc

If this bothers you, get a Sony SLT, you will see exposure changes in the EVF. I'll stick to my D5500 though . . .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk