Astronomy Software.

Mike150

I stumbled across this link while looking for Moon-Rise/Set data.

Stellarium

First, IT'S FREE.

Second, it's cross platform (Windows, Mac 10.6, and Linux) Pick the one you want and download. It's a big file (about 45M) so if you have a slow internet connection like me, you can expect a wait.

It can tell you the location of any star, planet, sun and moon at any time of the day or night. You can even alter the date and time for planning star locations for an upcoming trip.

I originally found it a little difficult to get set up to my location in the world, but after reading some of the manual (also down-loadable inPDF format) I was able to get it set up for Central Virginia.

Oh, Did I mention that it is FREE?

All you SKY photographers might want to investigate it.

PS: I am using it in conjunction with Google Earth to pick the best overlook along Skyline Drive from which to photograph the full moon rise on July 15th.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Mike, I have the same program it's great. Anyone else looking for Astronomy Software this is the one to get. For a free program runs and work very well. Only down fall I found is a little hard to use at first, then again I was never the one to read manuals, except my Nikon manual.