Life In The 850nm Lane!

480sparky

A while back I picked up a second Nikon P7100 for the express purpose of converting it to infrared. I chose the P7100 as I already had one I use for a job-site camera as well as a über-small carry camera when size and weight are paramount. So I was comfortable with using it. After doing a bit of research, I decided to dip my toes into the shallow end of the IR pool and buy a used P7100 and have it converted.

Anyhoo, a couple weeks ago I shipped off my $135 used camera and had a $165 conversion done. It just got dropped off in the mailbox, and I just couldn't wait to try it out.

IR%20test%20shot%201.jpg

IR%20test%20shot%202.jpg

BackdoorArts

Nice - and your total investment is less than I just paid to have my D800 converted (720nm), so it's a great way to get your feet wet. Who did you use? KolariVision did both of mine and I couldn't be happier. My brother is going to be working with the folks there doing some blogging about IR workflows, dealing with hot spots, etc. I suspect it'll be about a month or so before he gets his first blog up. I'll be sure to post a link.

Have fun with it. I love shooting IR - it's great for pulling me out of creative funks because it gets you thinking differently. Enjoy!!

480sparky

Nice - and your total investment is less than I just paid to have my D800 converted (720nm), so it's a great way to get your feet wet. Who did you use? KolariVision did both of mine and I couldn't be happier. My brother is going to be working with the folks there doing some blogging about IR workflows, dealing with hot spots, etc. I suspect it'll be about a month or so before he gets his first blog up. I'll be sure to post a link.

Have fun with it. I love shooting IR - it's great for pulling me out of creative funks because it gets you thinking differently. Enjoy!!

Yes, Kolari did it. If I find I like shooting IR, I'll find a used D600 and convert it. I figured this route would be a cheap one to dip my toes in with.

BackdoorArts

Yes, Kolari did it. If I find I like shooting IR, I'll find a used D600 and convert it. I figured this route would be a cheap one to dip my toes in with.

Check in before you do. I'm helping my brother with some hot spot research and, suffice it to say, there are far more fewer FX lenses that are hot spot free/minimal than there are with DX. Thankfully the 24-120mm f4 and 16-35mm f4 tested well on my D800 - the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 and Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 were awful (you can't shoot much smaller than f5.6 on the Sigma or f6.3 on the Nikon). I have an 18-105mm that lives on the D7000.

480sparky

There's a few websites out there that list cameras that are usable in IR, as well as various lenses and their IR characteristics.