D400 release date

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Some say it is coming in August!

The D400 is set to replace the D300s and rumored to come with sony's new 24mp sensor.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
If you read or research their older "Predictions" these were supposed to be announce back in February or April of this year. If their prediction is a "missed" then they'll re-adjust it to future dates. NR didn't even see or anticipate the release of the Nikon 50mm f1.8G and 40mm f2.8G lenses. I think their inside intel has become more unreliable when it comes to Nikon's future product release lately. Of course every time Nikon releases something new, people talks about it even more and it's like a wild fire that spreads so fast throughout the net.

jengajoh

Does anyone know anything about the D800? (to replace the D700) I read it should be released sometime this year, but wasn't it supposed to be released late last year? I also read the cost would be around $3k

gqtuazon

Gear Head
If it's going to true, August 24 is the scheduled date for Nikon's press release and announcement. Two new FX cameras are supposed to be announced according to Nikon Rumor website.

johnwartjr

I don't understand why Nikon would put a 24mp sensor in a D400 - seems like that would put it too close to the D4 line. I am expecting to see somewhere around 16-18 MP in the D400.

The D400 is also rumored to be a DX sensor body, so the comment about FX doesn't make sense. My take was it was to be 1 FX body (D4) and 1 DX body (D400)

Of course, it's all rumors :)

Jen, I bought my D700 about a year ago, because I was tired of the rumors of when the D700 replacement would arrive. Glad I did, as I've been enjoying using it for about a year now :)

kanteen

Banned
It will be very interesting to see what comes about. I hoping Nikon comes out with some new or improved Glass such as an updated to the 80-400vr. Body wise I am happy with my D200

theregsy

I hope something is announced soon, my D2x can't handle high enough ISO to run without flash at some local gigs so if a D800 is released then there should be a few cheap D700's appearing on a certain well known auction site :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I've found Thom Hogan usually has the most reliable information regarding future releases He updated his "predictions" on July 30th with these:

• D700 replacement: August 24 announce, October delivery.
  • D3s replacement (D4): August 24 announce, December delivery to NPS pros.
  • Nikon mirrorless: January CES announce, February delivery.
  • D300s replacement: February announce, delivery shortly thereafter.
  • D3x replacement: not predictable at the moment, but late 2012 seems to be the earliest plausible possibility.