Coolpix P610 or P900...what is your opinion?

Horoscope Fish

My Coolpix P510 has a lens gear failure (grinding sound when zooming, though it does still focus), so I want to upgrade.

Can I get first-hand opinions and experience on the P610 versus the P900? Yea, I know the specs (like the different optical zoom capability), but I'm looking for "hands on" experience.

Anyone have advice for one over the other (discounting the better optical zoom in the P900, and it's price)?
I've shot both a little bit and based on that limited exposure I prefer the P900 of the two. I have pretty big hands, though, and I like that the P900 is significantly larger than than the P610; it just fits in my hand better. If you have smaller hands you might like the P610 better. I also preferred the more powerful flash on the P900, the faster aperture and higher max ISO. The P900 also accepts filters which I like very much because I rarely shoot without a CPL.

DaveFromRI

I've shot both a little bit and based on that limited exposure I prefer the P900 of the two. I have pretty big hands, though, and I like that the P900 is significantly larger than than the P610; it just fits in my hand better. If you have smaller hands you might like the P610 better. I also preferred the more powerful flash on the P900, the faster aperture and higher max ISO. The P900 also accepts filters which I like very much because I rarely shoot without a CPL.

I sometimes use filters (well, honestly, polarization to cut glare, but that's it). I have big hands so my old D40 fits nicely, as it would seem the P900 would too.
My concerns are that one or the other is "buggy", and that might be significant. For example, the P510 is horrific when it comes to focusing while shooting video, and I'm not sure if it's fixed in the P610 (though I would expect so). Conversely, shooting video is not my primary goal, so while a plus if fixed, not a deal-breaker as they say.

Horoscope Fish

I sometimes use filters (well, honestly, polarization to cut glare, but that's it). I have big hands so my old D40 fits nicely, as it would seem the P900 would too.
My concerns are that one or the other is "buggy", and that might be significant. For example, the P510 is horrific when it comes to focusing while shooting video, and I'm not sure if it's fixed in the P610 (though I would expect so). Conversely, shooting video is not my primary goal, so while a plus if fixed, not a deal-breaker as they say.
I know Nikon released a firmware update for a lot of the Coolpix series cameras, everything from the 300 series to 900. I am not aware of any issues with either camera but that's just me. Nikon did issue an apology, though, regarding the P900: For not making enough to meet the demand. As I recall they promised to ramp up production.

Tip toeing lightly here... you do realize the D3300 with a very good kit lens can be had in the same ballpark as the P610. Do you often use/get good results with the super-zoom. I ask as I have a super-zoom camcorder and I rarely use it at the long end due to softness and lots of CA.

Just sayin'

(c;

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,as you have been using a bridge camera and it suits your needs i will jump straight into them,i have been using the P610 for about a month now and can find no problems with it,i am waiting to try the P900 but only because its slightly bigger and a longer zoom range.Done a fair bit of research on both and have not come across any issues with either,the only reason i can see to buy the 900 over the 610 is the larger mass and longer zoom,just got over 2500 clicks on the P610 (because i push it to the limit)using it for bird photography i need to get as close as i can so start taking pictures as i move in and only keep the largest images i get.

DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1504.jpg

DSCN1915.jpg

As you can see the P610 is a competent bridge camera,if the P900 isnt as good i will stick with what i have,although the fact i could fit filters to the 900 would be a benefit.

Last edited:
I have been researching the P900 for my wife. The D7000 is just to heavy for her and she does not want to be changing lenses but now she wants a macro and a longer lens. She is using the Nikon 18-200 now. Looking at the P900 I think it is a good choice. The F2.8 lens and the higher ISO is what I like over the P610. Both have manual modes and shutter speed priority so she would like it for bird in flight. I will have to show her your shots mikew . She would love those.

mikew_RIP

I have been researching the P900 for my wife. The D7000 is just to heavy for her and she does not want to be changing lenses but now she wants a macro and a longer lens. She is using the Nikon 18-200 now. Looking at the P900 I think it is a good choice. The F2.8 lens and the higher ISO is what I like over the P610. Both have manual modes and shutter speed priority so she would like it for bird in flight. I will have to show her your shots mikew . She would love those.

Thanks Don,BIF is the main area ime struggling with using an EVF, at the moment it just isnt responsive enough,it could just be a case of too long using a OVF and i need more practice, if in the end though i dont manage it then i will stick with the benefits i find in a bridge camera and forgo BIF.

weebee

Thanks Don,BIF is the main area ime struggling with using an EVF, at the moment it just isnt responsive enough,it could just be a case of too long using a OVF and i need more practice, if in the end though i dont manage it then i will stick with the benefits i find in a bridge camera and forgo BIF.

Don't feel bad Mike. I'm having the same struggle with bif with the 600. Just not fast enough with the focus.

Do the P610 or P900 have eye level view finders even if they are electronic and not optical? I have only picked up one camera that had a eye level electronic view finder but it was inside Bestbuy and the camera was not working well. How much different is it from the view finders we are used to with out Nikon DSLRs?

mikew_RIP

Do the P610 or P900 have eye level view finders even if they are electronic and not optical? I have only picked up one camera that had a eye level electronic view finder but it was inside Bestbuy and the camera was not working well. How much different is it from the view finders we are used to with out Nikon DSLRs?

They both have eye level electronic finders,i find they are workable for most things but if your subject is moving the delay in the finder updating is too much,not a problem for me as i want stationery subject images most of the time.

They both have eye level electronic finders,i find they are workable for most things but if your subject is moving the delay in the finder updating is too much,not a problem for me as i want stationery subject images most of the time.

That might be a deal breaker for my wife then. She loves shooting BIF

mikew_RIP

The lag on both the view finder and at times the focus will more then likely cause a missed shot. Does the P900 have these issues as well?

Would have said yes because its a design limitation at the moment with mirrorless as far as i can tell,i guess its less with the more expensive and will get better,its there to a lesser extent with my V2,thats why i get a bit frustrated with posters that push the mirrorless,its not ready to do everything yet.

mikew_RIP

Just had a thought and will try it when i get chance,shooting a movie clip of birds in flight and extracting a frame,if it works i wont tell any one how i did it and that should make me look good :D oops i have already told every one,just not sure what control you have over shutter speed.

weebee

Just had a thought and will try it when i get chance,shooting a movie clip of birds in flight and extracting a frame,if it works i wont tell any one how i did it and that should make me look good :D oops i have already told every one,just not sure what control you have over shutter speed.

I never thought about that. I have frame grabber on my laptop. Interesting idea.