Hello From SoCal

bigluelok

Hi everyone name is Luey.
I have a Nikon D3100 with the stock lens that came with it i believe its a 18-55mm. I use it to shoot toys at galleries and conventions.
I bought the camera used about 3 years ago.
Now I am having some issues with it the auto focus doesn't focus on its own all the time, and the shutter button sometimes doesn't take pictures when I fully press it.
is there something i can do to fix this besides sending it in?
I bought the camera for $150 and sending it in would cost more than that to get serviced.
If I can do it at home I would prefer to try and fix it myself, if not then ill just have to give in and send it in.

edit:
Also I have only ever shot using the auto setting. is there any suggestions on what I should try out or tutorials?

Last edited:

10 Gauge

Send it in. You won't have access to purchase the parts necessary to do the repairs nor probably have the knowledge to know which parts need to be replaced in the first plce.

Welcome to the forum luey.

Horoscope Fish

Hi everyone name is luey.
I have a Nikon D3100 with the stock lens that came with it i believe its a 18-55mm. I use it to shoot toys at galleries and conventions.
Now I am having some issues with it the auto focus doesnt focus on its own all the time, and the shutter button sometimes doesnt take pictures when I fully press it.
I bought the camera for $150 and sending it in would cost more than that to get serviced.
If I can do it at home I would preffer to tryand fix it myself, if not then ill just have to give in and send it in.
You could try doing a Shooting menu reset... See if that solves the issues.

Press the "Menu" button, drop down to the Camera icon and then find the "Reset Shooting Options".

The reason the shutter may not be firing when pressed, could be related to the Shutter Release Priority setting. This setting can be configured such that the camera won't take a picture if it can not get a focus lock. If you're seeing the Focus Confirmation dot illuminate in the viewfinder, and/or hearing the focus confirmation beep, then the problem lies elsewhere. Still, these are things to check out before sending your camera far away for repairs.

jay_dean

Hi everyone name is luey.
Now I am having some issues with it the auto focus doesnt focus on its own all the time, and the shutter button sometimes doesnt take pictures when I fully press it.
If I can do it at home I would preffer to tryand fix it myself, if not then ill just have to give in and send it in.
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48334
Welcome along..