89 Internal Memory / Total Run time of a video making on nikon coolpix S8200 !!

Hani Hijaz

Hi to all forum mates,

I am nearly to buy a Nikon camera from a friend model above mentioned.

Please tell how long a video can be taken on its internal memory of approx. 89MB??

Love to all forum mates and blessings!

Hani Hijaz
A Newbie

WayneF

The answer is often 20 minutes, but search the online camera manuals for a topic of "MOVIE SETTINGS" (this subject). The S8200 manual is different, it seems to say 14 minutes 30 seconds of play time.

I don't know about "internal memory", but depending on model, the DSLR cameras are limited to 20 or 30 minutes of movies, which can depend on bit rate. Of course, you can restart the recording and continue, many times. Most real world movie clips are much shorter anyway, maybe 10 seconds.

This could change in the future... it is a result of the EU charging a tax (up to 12%) on "movie cameras", and 30 minute recording length decides that classification (so DSLRs limit it to avoid the tax). Said to be about the capability to record shows from the television. Rumors are that this European law might be eliminated soon.

Last edited:
The camera is designed to use a SD memory card and that is what you need to be using instead of the built in internal memory. You can use up to a 64GB card but I would not really suggest you use something that large. But a 8GB or 16GB card would be very good for that camera and they do not cost that much. Make sure you get the correct speed rating card. Here is the link for the approved cards and speeds. https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17464/~/approved-memory-cards---coolpix-s8200

Stick with the SDHC memory card with a Speed Class rating of 6 or faster are recommended for recording movies. Faster is better for movies especially.