Nikon AF-S DX Micro 40mm f/2.8G Preview

bluenoser

Banned
Hmmm....I'm not seeing what the driving force behind this choice of FL was for Nikon. They have lots of other gaps in their line-up but macro lenses seemed to be well covered with their newer lineup of 60, 85 and 105.

I'll be taking a pass on this one as I own the 60 2.8G and 35 1.8 (and didn't like the FL of the 50mm so I sold my 50 1.8). The knock on the 60 2.8 is that for many it doesn't give enough working distance - that knock just got a lot louder for the 40 2.8.

Looks like Nikon Rumors missed the boat on this one! ;)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hmmm....I'm not seeing what the driving force behind this choice of FL was for Nikon. They have lots of other gaps in their line-up but macro lenses seemed to be well covered with their newer lineup of 60, 85 and 105.

I'll be taking a pass on this one as I own the 60 2.8G and 35 1.8 (and didn't like the FL of the 50mm so I sold my 50 1.8). The knock on the 60 2.8 is that for many it doesn't give enough working distance - that knock just got a lot louder for the 40 2.8.

Looks like Nikon Rumors missed the boat on this one! ;)

I agree James. It looks like Nikon's employees are sticking with their secrets and are not leaking out any hints to the public. I wish Nikon will continue to announce more lenses hopefully an update to the other zoom lenses such as the 17-55mm f2.8, 300mm f4 and 80-400mm VR lenses. A 70-200mm f4 VRII will be a welcome alternate to keeps things lighter.

I think the release of this lens is intended for newbies who are just starting with their lens acquisition. This will be a suitable alternate to the Nikon 35mm f1.8G since it can also do a small group shot, portrait, and provide some fun using a micro lens (not for bugs!). We know serious macro shooters uses a minimum 90mm or longer especially with bugs.