Using D700 with Nikkor MF lens

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I just received my new (used) Nikkor 300mm f4.5 Ais MF lens today. I bought it because it was reasonably cheap and I wanted to try MF. I entered the lenses information to the camera (similar to the D7000) which includes the focal length and max aperture and it was ready to go. Please pardon me for being a newbie when using a MF lens since I have very limited experience. Using older lenses require adjusting the aperture ring instead of the command dials of your camera just like what you normally do with your "D" or "G" lenses. The lens has a serial number that was dated or manufactured back in Nov 1981. The lens that I got looks excellent or near mint condition. This is my longest lens so and for now my only MF lens so there is a lot of learning for me to do. I just wanted to share you this classic lens and it's got a new home now. The D700 is bringing a new life to this old warrior. I'll add more later on once I receive my Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Ais lens next week. Cheers.

Built-in lens hood extended.

Nikon 300mm f4.5 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Lens hood retracted.

Nikon 300mm f4.5 Ai lens on tripod by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Sample test shot @f8, 1/160, A mode

Nikon 300mm f4.5 bokeh shot, f8, 1/160 hand-held by gqtuazon, on Flickr

@f4.5, 1/250

Nikkor 300mm f4.5 Ai, f4.5, 1/1,250 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

f4.5, 1/640

Nikon_300mm_f4_5_018.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
I'm am grateful for your post Mr. Tuazon. Thank you sir! All day long I have been excited about this thread. The D700 with 300/4.5 Ais mounted is absolutely beautiful and you have made a few very nice pictures with it. I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future with this combination! The F mount and the Nikkors that have been made and are still being made today (including some good old-fashioned MF primes in Ais still made brand spanking new to this very day and in Japan proper I might add) are in my opinion the main reason Nikon is what it is compared to all other manufacturers.

I have a good buddy who is fortunate enough to shoot digital with old MF lenses. He tells me he typically has to snap a lot more photos with the MF lenses than he does with the AF lenses to get good clean photos. I was wondering if you have encountered this as well? It seems a very long focal length lens like the 300 would be even more challenging to focus than say a short telephoto like the 85 or 105...what are your thoughts sir?

ohkphoto

Snow White
Congratulations, Glenn, that is a very nice setup! That lens looks like it belongs right there on your camera. Excellent shots and have fun with his "old warrior" :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm am grateful for your post Mr. Tuazon. Thank you sir! All day long I have been excited about this thread. The D700 with 300/4.5 Ais mounted is absolutely beautiful and you have made a few very nice pictures with it. I can't wait to see what you come up with in the future with this combination! The F mount and the Nikkors that have been made and are still being made today (including some good old-fashioned MF primes in Ais still made brand spanking new to this very day and in Japan proper I might add) are in my opinion the main reason Nikon is what it is compared to all other manufacturers.

I have a good buddy who is fortunate enough to shoot digital with old MF lenses. He tells me he typically has to snap a lot more photos with the MF lenses than he does with the AF lenses to get good clean photos. I was wondering if you have encountered this as well? It seems a very long focal length lens like the 300 would be even more challenging to focus than say a short telephoto like the 85 or 105...what are your thoughts sir?

Thank you for your nice comment. Please just call me Glenn. It was a bargain lens and the seller included an extension tube with it for $150 USD including shipping. The working distance is a little difficult since the minimum focusing distance is around 12 feet or so. I tried the extension tube and I was able to get a semi-macro set-up around 4 ft. It is a little too early for me to say that I shoot more MF since this is my second MF lens. I sold my first one which was a 85mm f1.4 Samyang lens which was made in Korea. It's not a bad lens it's just that I was too impatient to give MF a try at the time. The DOF is really thin with this lens and I think it will be best used at f8 especially when using an extension tube.

Here are some samples that I took a while ago using a tripod and SB 900. Thanks for looking.

Taylor_made_Sand_wedge.jpg

R7_Golf_clubs.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Really nice sharp shots made with this lens Glenn. What a bargain you found there. Nice butterfly shot.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Really nice sharp shots made with this lens Glenn. What a bargain you found there. Nice butterfly shot.

Thanks Marcel. I've acquired a couple more lenses to add with my inventory. The Nikkor 28mm f3.5 ai and the Nikkor 135mm f2.8 pre-ai (k series). I'm actually enjoying using these MF lenses since they've been under utilized by previous owners. I purchased both for less than $190 USD.

Nikkor 28mm f3.5 ai 2 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Ai test shot by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Yellow Iris by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Nikon Classics by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Using the Nikkor 135mm f2.8 pre-ai lens
@f2.8

Nikkor 135mm f2.8 pre-ai @ f2.8 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

@f8

Nikkor 135mm f2.8 pre-ai @ f8 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Using the 300mm f4.5 ais

Dragon fly by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice shots and find Glenn. So, please tell me what is the difference between the pre AI that you've got and the AIS? Does the meter work with pre AI when the aperture is open or do you have to close down the aperture to make the metering with the pre AI?

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Nice shots and find Glenn. So, please tell me what is the difference between the pre AI that you've got and the AIS? Does the meter work with pre AI when the aperture is open or do you have to close down the aperture to make the metering with the pre AI?
Hi Marcel. The Pre-Ai or K series was converted to Ai by the previous owner which allows my camera to meter properly.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Adding an image.

Paper wasp. Nikkor 135mm f2.8 Ai with extension tube. I'm glad this bug didn't sting me since I was getting a little too close.

Paper_Wasp.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
Hello Glenn!

First I must thank you again for showing us how the MF lenses draw on a DSLR...excellent photographs sir! The dragon fly image is superb...DOF incredible...The paper wasp image is superb!!! OOF area is downright mean!!! :)

Congratulations on the new stablemates!!!

The 28/3.5 Ai Nikkor was the first NIKON item I ever bought...had it before I had a body! It is a fantastic daylight lens...3.5 it loves bright light (hard to handle indoors with flash though)...point it at the sun...it's flare looks like it was supposed to be there and it makes somes stars you won't believe! It is a lens you can squeeze and get all kinds of neat stuff out of it! You can buy one now for less than 50 bucks and it will matrix meter on many DSLR bodies as long as it is at least an Ai lens! First and last samples are the 28...

The 135/2.8 is a great lens...it will blow out a background like you wouldn't believe...smooth as silk and you don't even have to open it wide...like it's more famous brothers the 105/1.8 and 105/2.5 infinity focus is crazy! It is not a macro lens but close up it can make tiny objects pop! Beware most of the 135/2.8 Q's that are cheap cheap are pre Ai and therefore won't really work with F mount DSLRs until the lens is converted...converted ones are cheap too though! :) Middle pic macro shot from about 5-6 feet close focusing distance indoors with a beam of afternoon sunlight working as a spot light.

I hope you don't mind me taking a few liberties with your thread by posting a few of my own photos but my only intention is to spread the word on what these fine old Nikkors are capable of doing.

Thanks again sir keep the images coming please!!!

Attachments

• 28 Wide Long Distance Flash.JPG
    28 Wide Long Distance Flash.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 604
  • 135 Long Macro.JPG
    135 Long Macro.JPG
    402.9 KB · Views: 658
  • 14 Pointed Star.JPG
    14 Pointed Star.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hello Glenn!

First I must thank you again for showing us how the MF lenses draw on a DSLR...excellent photographs sir! The dragon fly image is superb...DOF incredible...The paper wasp image is superb!!! OOF area is downright mean!!! :)

Congratulations on the new stablemates!!!

The 24/3.5 Ai Nikkor was the first NIKON item I ever bought...had it before I had a body! It is a fantastic daylight lens...3.5 it loves bright light (hard to handle indoors with flash though)...point it at the sun...it's flare looks like it was supposed to be there and it makes somes stars you won't believe! It is a lens you can squeeze and get all kinds of neat stuff out of it! You can buy one now for less than 50 bucks and it will matrix meter on many DSLR bodies as long as it is at least an Ai lens! First and last samples are the 28...

The 135/2.8 is a great lens...it will blow out a background like you wouldn't believe...smooth as silk and you don't even have to open it wide...like it's more famous brothers the 105/1.8 and 105/2.5 infinity focus is crazy! It is not a macro lens but close up it can make tiny objects pop! Beware most of the 135/2.8 Q's that are cheap cheap are pre Ai and therefore won't really work with F mount DSLRs until the lens is converted...converted ones are cheap too though! :) Middle pic macro shot from about 5-6 feet close focusing distance indoors with a beam of afternoon sunlight working as a spot light.

I hope you don't mind me taking a few liberties with your thread by posting a few of my own photos but my only intention is to spread the word on what these fine old Nikkors are capable of doing.

Thanks again sir keep the images coming please!!!

Thank you for your feedback and I really appreciate it. I have not tried the lenses on night photography but it is something that I would like to try. I like seeing those sunstars that Nikon lenses produce. This thread is available for everyone who wants to share their craft using manual focus lenses. I do have most of the newer Nikon zoom lenses but those just makes things easier and convenient to use. This is a little bit more challenging and it requires the photographer to me more precise in focusing. I think most film users who have shifted to Nikon D700 were very satisfied with it's performance. I'm sure you'll like it once you get the opportunity to try it with your heritage lenses. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Nice capture Marcel. What kind of flash do you use when doing macro photography? Sometimes the lights isn't too good when using extension tubes. I may need to use a diffuser if I'm going to use my speedlights.