Blue Ribbons?

Browncoat

It's summertime here in the states. I don't know about the rest of you, but for Ohio residents, that means county fair season. Livestock competitions, the demolition derby, horse racing, and...fine arts contests.

Is anyone entering any photos? Have you already won some ribbons? Let's see those winners!

I just submitted a print order for 8 different 8x10s for my local county fair competition in a couple weeks. They have 2 categories: color and B&W, with several different sub-categories. Best in Show has been awarded to a local pro who has taken home the prize for the last 25 years straight! I'm hoping to give him some competition this year.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Go for it, Anthony! From what I've seen, you've got lots of winners! Best of luck!
I'm thinking of entering some in the local fairs, too.

Joseph Bautsch

Anthony, I''ve seen some of your work. You should put that guy's career to an end. Go for it. If you are going to start entering photo competitions you probably need to start doing your own printing. It's more expensive but you have total control over the quality and you will be able to produce far better prints than sending them out.

Last edited:

Browncoat

Thanks for the vote of confidence, gang!

And you're right, Mr. Bautsch. A good photo printer is on my list. I just picked up this morning's batch and I need to reprint 4 of them because they're too dark. Amazingly though, the one I thought would turn out the worst (an HDR) is actually the best one. It looks simply stunning in an 8x10! That dude better watch out this year!

Browncoat

I just submitted a print order for 8 different 8x10s...
The results are in. I submitted 8 photos and managed to capture 3 blue ribbons, including a Best in Show. Unless my count was off, no single other person won in more categories than I did, so I'm happy with the results. Well, to be honest, I'm more happy with taking "Mr. 25 years running" out behind the wood shed for a whoopin'.

I learned something, too. The photo I personally liked the most didn't earn any ribbons at all, not even a red 2nd place. And the photo I liked the least was the Best in Show winner. Go figure.

Anyone else having any luck?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Any way you could post all the 8 pictures that you've submitted and let us know which one won? I, for sure, would love to see them.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Way to go Anthony, Congrats!

clap-animated-animation-clap-smiley.gif

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Where are my manners… Congrats sure are in order. I'm glad you finally were able to take the other guy out for a real challenge. And win !!!

Browncoat

Well, there were two main categories (color and B&W), each with 8 sub-categories in them. Here were my submissions and winners. You can click on the photos for larger versions posted in my gallery:

B&W: Portrait (winner)
I'm glad this was one of the winners. The firemen were seen drifting into the Fine Arts building all day yesterday to check it out, which makes me happy that they're proud of it.

B&W: Human Interest
This is supposed to be a photojournalism category, so I figured I had a good shot by doubling up w/ fireman photos. Turns out a photo of some wine glasses was the winner here. It was a good photo, but not exactly "human interest".

B&W: Flowers (winner)
This one should look familiar, it was done for a weekly challenge awhile back.

B&W: Structure
This is a county fair contest, and since this is largely a farming community, I thought this one had a good chance. The winner in this category had a stunning photo of an old barn. A very deserved win.

Color: Shelby County Scene (winner / Best in Show)
This one baffles me. Photos in this category had to be local, so I submitted my grain elevator. This is the old version here, the actual print is much brighter...but I still don't get it.

Color: Portrait
I have tons of color portraits, but if you follow me on Facebook, you know what a huge pain in the ass it was to fight security to get this photo of Carrie Underwood...and by God I was going to have it printed.

Color: Other
This was my favorite submission, but it didn't win anything. This looks awesome as a print, so much so, it's the only one of my photos that I actually have hanging in my house. I guess I'm the only one who likes it!

Color: Scenic
The winner in this category had an incredible sunset photo. The composition of my photo isn't that great, so no complaints here.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for posting Anthony. They all are great shots. The portrait and the rose I specially enjoy.

It seems that sometimes we get attached to some of our shots while they don't have that effect on others. Maybe it has to do with the effort and the planning that went to create them. Or maybe not.

fotojack

All superb shots in my opinion, Anthony. Congrats on a well deserved win. I especially like the win shot of the firefighter. There's just so much there to appreciate.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Anthony, congratulations! Excellent submissions . . . and what a nice feeling to have some blue ribbons :) Great job . . . we're all proud of you !!

KWJams

Here is my take on the pictures.

The Fireman has a look in his eyes that makes me think that maybe he just mopped up a bad fire where something bad happened and it is troubling his soul.

The rose looks ancient and brittle and certainly must be a really - really old photo -- the fact that is not, makes it special.

The grain elevator I am not sure what there is about it since we already beat you up over it. :) The only thing I can come up with that it is a local landmark and folks must say to themselves, yep that is exactly what it looks like to them if it was an ink drawing and so they have a special familiarity to it.

They all are outstanding photographs and congratulations on your success.