Converting to Tiff which to keep.

mikew_RIP

Going around the bend at the moment trying to decide what PP program to go with the D750,come to the point where i have decided to make no program changes at the moment,this leaves me with a decision i dont understand.I will carry on at the moment using Elements 11,this means i need to convert my D750 files for me get them into Elements 11,been using the DNG converter but it doesn't fit easily into my work flow so have tried using the Tiff converter in View nx.If i convert to Tiff the file size goes at least twice as big,am i better to keep the Tiff file and dump the Nef after processing or the other way round,i cant see any benefit in keeping both,or am i wrong.

J-see

I always work in Tiff but never dump my RAW files. I however process my NEF into a first version that is scaled for the output which makes a whole difference in size.

If you have to convert it first and end up with 100+ MB files, it can eat resources fast but I personally would never dump the NEF. I don't know Elements but check if you can save the edits and store that edit format together with the NEF. It allows you to dump the TiFF and save room but if you ever need the edit again, you can quickly convert the original NEF and apply that saved edit.

Michael J.

I tried and use this: Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 8.7.1

I can add a folder at once and output in a DNG folder

Image2dng.jpg

mikew_RIP

Thanks Michael,ACR will remember its edits but off course when you go into Elements it doesn't,i just find the DNG converter another step,I download into View,go through them deleting what i dont want,if i want to edit one i can convert it to Tiff within view,i just couldn't see the point in keeping two files and as the Tiff is a lot larger i wondered if it was the best to keep.

mikew_RIP

I always work in Tiff but never dump my RAW files. I however process my NEF into a first version that is scaled for the output which makes a whole difference in size.

If you have to convert it first and end up with 100+ MB files, it can eat resources fast but I personally would never dump the NEF. I don't know Elements but check if you can save the edits and store that edit format together with the NEF. It allows you to dump the TiFF and save room but if you ever need the edit again, you can quickly convert the original NEF and apply that saved edit.

Thanks i had been dumping the Tiff after PP but i haven't yet reconverted the neff to see if ACR will remember the edits,i just wondered if Tiff may be a better file to keep.

J-see

Thanks i had been dumping the Tiff after PP but i haven't yet reconverted the neff to see if ACR will remember the edits,i just wondered if Tiff may be a better file to keep.

In LR you can save your edits as a preset, in RT I can do that as a .pp3 file. Maybe Elements also has such an option which allows you to save the settings of each final edit and place them together with the NEF file. If that works, you only need to load those settings which should only be a couple of KB size.

mikew_RIP

In LR you can save your edits as a preset, in RT I can do that as a .pp3 file. Maybe Elements also has such an option which allows you to save the settings of each final edit and place them together with the NEF file. If that works, you only need to load those settings which should only be a couple of KB size.

You can most likely do it in the full version but not that i have found in Elements,i dont even think you can create actions,you can use pre installed ones but it looks like you can only load downloaded actions.

J-see

It's maybe time to start moving to another editor Mike. You can use what you have now and at the same time practice in a new one.

mikew_RIP

Basically ime happy with the way i have been working in Elements, its just the new camera thrown a spanner in the works, so i think i will convert to Tiff as i want to edit one,it only takes a few seconds,then dump the Tiff after editing.

Spottydumplings

Hi Mike,
You could always upgrade to Elements 13; which I believe will handle D750 Raw files. I know it will cost you a few bob but not as much as your other new "toy";).

Felisek

I always keep raw NEF files. Just in case. The NEF file contains unadulterated original data produced by your camera and any other format, even DNG, is going to lose something from this original recording.

mikew_RIP

Hi Mike,
You could always upgrade to Elements 13; which I believe will handle D750 Raw files. I know it will cost you a few bob but not as much as your other new "toy";).

Yes that would be the easy option,i do have it on trial at the moment,its a case of that or CC and ime fed up up of trying to decide :D its enough of a headache which other lenses to get.:confused:

Scott Murray

The trouble is Scott my brain is full,i need to delete stuff to make room for new stuff and i bet there is a whole lot of new stuff in the full version of Photoshop and Light Room :D .
Honestly I rarely go into PS and LR with its basic editing functions is what I use, normally adjust highlight, shadows, blacks, contrast, remove spots, sharpen, export :) sometimes straighten/crop

WayneF

Going around the bend at the moment trying to decide what PP program to go with the D750,come to the point where i have decided to make no program changes at the moment,this leaves me with a decision i dont understand.I will carry on at the moment using Elements 11,this means i need to convert my D750 files for me get them into Elements 11,been using the DNG converter but it doesn't fit easily into my work flow so have tried using the Tiff converter in View nx.If i convert to Tiff the file size goes at least twice as big,am i better to keep the Tiff file and dump the Nef after processing or the other way round,i cant see any benefit in keeping both,or am i wrong.

You just need to upgrade to Elements 13, or better, to Lightroom 6, so you can open your files. The only argument against it is cost, but this seems a minor expense for someone that can afford a D750 and some lenses. :)

That way your raw file remains as your edited archive (is always lossless edits), and from it, you can create all the temporary TIF and JPG you want. Discard them when you reedit your raw, and recreate them at will.