Help me choose my shooting destination this weekend!

Where should I shoot this weekend?

• Norfolk Botanical Garden

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Colonial Williamsburg

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Maymont

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Great Falls National Park

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

10 Gauge

My awesome wife wants to let me choose any place in the state to go and shoot on Saturday (what a great wife, so supportive :)). So here is the short list of places I have compiled that I personally would like to go. Now you guys can help me decide where sounds the best!

Norfolk Botanical Garden: Heavenly especially for macro photographers, this beautiful botanical garden is world class. There are too many wonderful possibilities at this garden to name, but the rose garden and the butterfly house are two of my personal favorites. Many also come to view the landings and takeoffs at the nearby airport, as well. The garden, however, is most known outside of Norfolk for its Eagle Cam, one of the first of its kind. It focused upon the trials and triumphs of a pair that nested in one of the loblolly pines where they produced 19 eaglets over the course of eight years. After the female was struck and killed by an airplane at the nearby airport in 2011, the eagles became the source of much contention. Eventually, the garden was ordered to take the nest down and any subsequent nests. You may still see eagles at the garden, though. As of this spring, the male was still refusing to leave, and has resisted every effort to dissuade him from trying to rebuild on the grounds. As unhappy as the end of that story is, the garden itself is the epitome of happy.

Colonial Williamsburg: Colonial Williamsburg is comprised of the historical area in the city of Williamsburg where the structures are preserved, restored, or sometimes reconstructed colonial era architecture. It is meant to be an accurate portrayal of the original settlement of Williamsburg, and by most accounts they are successful at it. It is peopled by “interpreters” in colonial-era dress busy at their colonial-era occupations; visiting is a wonderful opportunity for all photographers, but especially those with a penchant for portraiture or historical and architectural photography.

Maymont: Maymont is a Victorian estate complete with a mansion, an arboretum, and formal gardens. That’s what was there originally. These days, the whole thing has been turned into a park of sorts, and they’ve added a museum, a carriage collection, wildlife exhibits, a children’s farm, and a nature center. In spite of these additions, it is tastefully done and quite a treat that also provides ample photographic opportunities.

Great Falls National Park: The upside is that there is no hiking involved in accessing the beautiful falls in this park; the downside is that, while there are no legal strictures against it, the park has posted numerous signs alerting us to the number of drownings that take place each year when the foolhardy and unprepared choose to wander outside the boundaries of the trails and observation decks. I thought briefly of attempting a more unique view of the falls, but there really was not a single square inch of flat land to sturdy a tripod upon as far as I could tell. The good news is that, even with these restrictions, you can get some excellent shots of a truly breathtaking landscape. As a bonus, there are often kayakers in the white water, which can also make for some great shots if you have a good telephoto lens.

Out of the currently listed options, I am leaning toward the first currently (since I just got a new macro lens I can put to work). But, all of the options sound really good and I wouldn't be disappointed going to any of them.

Let's see where the votes go!

Last edited:

kevy73

When I am in doubt, I think of which location has the easiest access to beer. :)

Mans not a camel.

In all seriousness, I don't know the locations at all, but if I was looking for somewhere to shoot, I would consider what has stuff that I know I can get good shots - so as not to waste the trip, but also has stuff I have never or only rarely shot before to challenge myself to learn new skills.

The other good way to do that is to go somewhere you are familiar with but take a totally different lens...

Last edited:

10 Gauge

Good point. I like the botanical garden idea as I know I won't be pressured or hurried, I can get all of the shots I really want and really put my new macro lens to the test.

weebee

I've been to Great Falls. There are some areas to use a tripod. Though a monopod would be better. It can double duty as a hiking staff. The falls are a worthwhile place to visit. I enjoyed it.

singlerosa_RIP

It's almost a no-brainer. You have a new macro lens. Go shoot some flowers. The Tokina's been in my bag for about 4 years and it's a nice little lens. I think you'll like the results.

Blade Canyon

I like people pictures, so Williamsburg would be the first choice to get candids of role-players and tourists. But if you want to use your macro, go to the botanical gardens and bring back some butterfly pics.

10 Gauge

I've been to Great Falls. There are some areas to use a tripod. Though a monopod would be better. It can double duty as a hiking staff. The falls are a worthwhile place to visit. I enjoyed it.

I've been a few times before, but never when I had a camera setup. I'd definitely like to go back and get a few pictures. My only "issue" with the trip to Great Falls is there's not a lot of other photo opportunities outside of getting a few good pix of the falls. It seems like it might make for a short trip, something we could do next time we happen to be up north in that area. My wife is pulling for this option though I think. :)

It's almost a no-brainer. You have a new macro lens. Go shoot some flowers. The Tokina's been in my bag for about 4 years and it's a nice little lens. I think you'll like the results.

This is where my heart is leading me....

I like people pictures, so Williamsburg would be the first choice to get candids of role-players and tourists. But if you want to use your macro, go to the botanical gardens and bring back some butterfly pics.

Candid's at Williamsburg would be great, though not really "my style", I have a lot of learning to do when it comes to composing candid shots. That would be a great place for practice with plenty of subjects for sure!

Mmmmm, macrooooo! :)

Horoscope Fish

When I am in doubt, I think of which location has the easiest access to beer.
Applicable not only to photography but too so many aspects of Life in General, these words should engraved... Neigh! CARVED DEEPLY, in a granite edifice so as to provide enduring enlightenment for generations that will proceed us.

Blacktop

I voted for Williamsburg, but that was before I realized that you just bought the 100mm Tokina. I change my vote now to the Botanical gardens.

Mike150

I haven't been to the Hampton gardens but along the same lines is the Lewis Ginter Botannical gardens in Richmond. They run a Live Butterfly exhibit that is quite nice. And don't rule out Skyline Drive. Lots of trails and waterfalls to see there.

10 Gauge

I haven't been to the Hampton gardens but along the same lines is the Lewis Ginter Botannical gardens in Richmond. They run a Live Butterfly exhibit that is quite nice. And don't rule out Skyline Drive. Lots of trails and waterfalls to see there.

I've wanted to go to Lewis Ginter, it's actually a lot closer to home than Norfolk, maybe we should check that out this weekend...

I've been dying to get back to Skyline Drive, we used to live a lot closer and hold season passes so we could go on a whim, but that's been a while.

Michael J.

I don't know any of these places. So I googled. I came up with two favorites

1. Maymont

2. Colonial Williamsburg

If I have to choose, it would be Maymont. The great place, the nature, the colorful environment, great architecture, etc. Not only for your eyes, heart, and soul, but a great challenge for photography

10 Gauge

Thanks all for voting! Looks like we may just go check out the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden nearby. Med bills piling up this month, we need to keep it close to home.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk