Jpeg fine

tea2085

Just got back from my son's baby shower- discovered I had shot in JPEG FINE. When I put the pictures on Lightroom-downloaded and went to develop, it said file not found (though the photo was on the screen) and I was not able to do any post processing at all (even crop). Is there anything I can do to make LR find the file? I downloaded the pics directly to LR. Paul

Last edited:

Michael J.

Maybe download the files on you computer first. This is what I do. I use a Card reader for this step. Never connect my cam direct to the computer.

tea2085

I downloaded from the camera directly to LR. Would there be a difference in using a card reader as opposed to plugging in the cam? Paul

nickt

It sounds like you moved the files outside of LR or something accidentally happened that caused a similar situation. LR has a preview, but you can't edit it because its not really there. Same as if you have pictures on an external drive and unplug it. Hopefully you still have them on the memory card. If you right click the containing folder in the left hand LR navigator pane, you can select 'properties' to see where LR thinks the files should be. If you know one of the file names you could also search your hard drive (outside of LR) to see where they may have accidentally landed.

RocketCowboy

@nickt got my thought before I could post it.

LR can do edits on jpeg files, and the error you're getting sounds more like the file isn't where LR thinks it should be. It's possible that LR is still expecting the images on the camera ... that instead of copy/move, they were added to the library from their original location. I've done that accidentally a few times. Check the camera memory card and/or your deleted items on your computer to see if you can locate the originals.

nickt

... that instead of copy/move, they were added to the library from their original location. I've done that accidentally a few times. Check the camera memory card and/or your deleted items on your computer to see if you can locate the originals.
I'm not sure when it happened, but I just tried to 'add' from both the bare memory card and plugging in the whole camera and 'add' is grayed out in LR. I can only 'copy'. I got windows 8.1 and LR CC at pretty much the same time, but I 'm pretty sure it used to happen exactly as you said.

tea2085

I can't locate the originals, so I am going to upload photos again by plugging my camera in. What would be a adequate way to insure I don't have the same problem? Thanks guys fo all the help. Paul

RocketCowboy

I can't locate the originals, so I am going to upload photos again by plugging my camera in. What would be a adequate way to insure I don't have the same problem? Thanks guys fo all the help. Paul

I prefer to copy images from my SD card to the computer first, copying to all my backup locations at that time, and then import/move into LR after that's been done. I know LR now offers the ability to copy to a second location, but since I'm storing in three different locations on initial import I prefer to do it manually.

RocketCowboy

Thanks R-Cowboy- any particular place on the HD you copy your images to? Paul

I'm on a Mac (vs PC), but I copy my desktop in a separate folder, to the Pictures folder under by user directory (similar to My Pictures on Windows), then to a pictures folder on my external RAID drive, then to a pictures folder on my NAS (RAID5). Lastly, I have a portable USB drive that I travel with for backups while on the road, so I usually keep that in sync too. TimeMachine backs up my desktop and user directory to an external USB drive automatically, and then I have CrashPlan backup my desktop/external RAID drive/NAS drive all to the cloud.

I lost a hard drive back in 2007 that had all my pictures on it at the time, so I'm over redundant on storage now.

tea2085

Finally got pictures to LR that I could actually edit- thanks so much guys. ! problem left. One picture was missing and after a while I found it, but when I tried adding it to LR it said the pic was a "suspected duplicate" and would not copy it to LR. I searched everything in Lr and could not find the pic (my favorite), Is there a way to bypass suspected dupe and download the photo to LR, Paul

nickt

There is a check box on the right hand import pane "don't import suspected duplicates". Uncheck it, but I would put it back after you get that one file. It usually works out to be a good thing unless you are renaming/renumber files for something special. Its very easy to forget to wipe your card and re-import the same batch of pictures twice.