Using the sb-700 with D7000

bee.eye

Hey, I also bought the SB 700, but until now I still don't know how to use it! This is my first time with an Speedlight, I used to use the built in flash in my nikon & then retouch on PS.

When I use it with manual modes, i always end up getting dark images, I dont know the reason. When I used the "P" mode in nikon, I cant change the exposures, the aperture is always stuck at F4.5 & shutter at 60, no matter how much I move the dial, the only thing that I can control is the exposure compensation... so for the time being, the only luck im gettin is with the Auto mode !

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Re: Just got the SB-700...

Hey Bee - what camera are you using? In program mode the aperture and shutter should be able to be changed with the dial simultaneously. If your pictures are coming out too dark, it sounds like the shutter speed is too slow for the amount of light you have. (although 1/60 is pretty slow).

bluenoser

Banned
......If your pictures are coming out too dark, it sounds like the shutter speed is too slow for the amount of light you have.

Actually the slower the shutter speed the more light is able to get in and the brighter it should be. A shutter speed that is too fast can contribute to a image that is under exposed.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

oops, right, I meant "too fast for the amount of light you have"

bee.eye

Thanks jdeg, Im using D7000. It's ok now though, I realized that i have to fix the flash settings on the camera to match the speedlight settings. & 1/60 is the fastest sync speed for d7000 with a speedlight. I am now experimenting on off camera flash use & the results are brilliant, I just regret that I relied solely on the built in flash for 5 years in the past!

bee.eye

true, I meant to say 1/60 is the fastest flash shutter speed. My d7000 & SB 700 are only 2 weeks old & the more i dig into them the more i get amazed. I owned a D40x for 5 years & it is not close to what D7000 is. Thanks again jdeg!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Again...just a clarification for anyone else reading this thread...1/60 is the slowest shutter speed that can be used with the flash not the fastest.

Are you that sure about that James? I always thought that flash could be used up to 1/60s until the shutters were improved. That's what I remember from my film days any way.

bluenoser

Banned
Are you that sure about that James? I always thought that flash could be used up to 1/60s until the shutters were improved. That's what I remember from my film days any way.

LOL! Marcel the only thing I'm sure of is death and taxes...other than that no way! :)

Of course I was still talking about flash synch speed and not shutter speed - slowest shutter speed with flash I believe I think is 30s (?)

Thanks for following up Marcel and apologies to the OP! :)

bee.eye

Page 223 of the manual of D7000 says that SB 600, 700, 800 & 900 can be used at any shutter speed.
The fastest shutter speed is 1/60 in Slow Sync, Slow rear curtain sync & red eye reduction.
I have to keep reading the manual...