Great price on a D810, or is it?

On their web site, a New York camera store is selling the D810 for $2,229.00. I'm assuming this has to be a grey market camera.They are selling the same camera on eBay for $2,499.00. It doesn't say anything about warranty's though they offer 3 year extended warranty's. They do not except questions about their products on e-Bay, so I will call them Monday. In anyone's opinion, is this a "too good to be true" deal or is the $700.00 discount worth taking a chance on. Their "Total Protection Warranty" which I suppose mimics a Square Trade Warranty, is $600.00. I just want to hear what people think about it.

Last edited:

10 Gauge

Well, if I had to guess, it's probably gray market but hard to say. I scored a deal on my D750 at gray market prices but only because an intern accidentally listed the D750 kit at the body only price. If they are listing it at that price as their every day price, it's probably gray market. I believe Nikon's retailers have to abide by MAP pricing, meaning if they were a licensed Nikon dealer selling US warranted products, their price would have to be listed at MAP (which is the price you'll see the same items selling for from B&H, Adorama, etc.).

There's nothing wrong with a gray market body if you don't mind taking the chance that something may go wrong and need service within the warranty period you would be getting with a US model. It's your money and your decision in the end.

10 Gauge

You won't have a warranty period at all if you buy gray market. Nikon USA will repair it, but they are going to send you the bill, even if it's the day after purchase. I've heard rumors that people have had luck every once and again getting Nikon USA to perform warranty work on a gray market item within 1 year old, but I definitely wouldn't count on that.

Or are you talking about if you purchase the 3 year extended warranty from the seller? In that warranty period it will be up to the seller to have your problem taken care of on their dime. After that runs out, you can send it to Nikon USA for repair yourself and just foot the repair bill.

Bill16

From what I've heard, gray market can be fixed, but Nikon isn't doing the work. Other shops do the work using Nikon parts.
I think a gray market Nikon can be and is sometimes well worth it! My D800E was previously owned by my friend from Australia making it gray market for me, and I believe it is well worth the $1500 cost! Besides it only had just over 8000 actuations lol so yep I'm happy! :)