Putzin' 'round with the Pinhole

480sparky

Finally had a bit of time today to really try out the pinhole I purchased last week.

D62_0388.jpg

D62_0392.jpg

D62_0394.jpg

D62_0395.jpg

D62_0402.jpg

Due to it's small aperture, long exposures are the norm, 'specially when shooting at ISO 100:

D62_0399.jpg

Horoscope Fish

For less than $12, they're kinda fun.
The place I remember seeing wanted something RIDICULOUS for their pre-drilled caps. I forget exact numbers but prices were triple (!) digit... No joke. That's why mine were all DIY. For $12 I'd be all in... I'm assuming you can choose from some different size holes?

480sparky

The place I remember seeing wanted something RIDICULOUS for their pre-drilled caps. I forget exact numbers but prices were triple (!) digit... No joke. That's why mine were all DIY. For $12 I'd be all in... I'm assuming you can choose from some different size holes?

You can get different sized holes, but just be sure to get the right sized. Too big or too small, and the blurriness increases.

The formula to calculate the proper hole size is based on the distance between the film/sensor and the pinhole. Since Nikon's flange-to-focal plane is 43.6mm, I figured using 50mm is good enough.

The formula is SqRt(0.0016 * pinhole-to-Focal Plane). For the average film SLR or DSLR, 0.3mm is good. If you want a narrower FOV, you can use ordinary extension tubes, but you'll need to go to a larger hole if you extend out 35-40mm more. Then you may find 0.4 or 0.5mm a better choice.

Going too small a hole will cause more diffraction.

I got mine here: (I am in NO WAY associated with this seller!)

fireseller66 on eBay

WayneF

I was impressed with the pin hole pictures. But the words "predrilled" worried me. Just drilling a body cap is a thicker piece of plastic, not right for the purpose. The body cap ought to have a larger hole in the center, covered with a thin sheet of like brass shim stock, which has the small hole. The very thin sheet is optically important. There is an optimum hole size for best resolution, said to be 0.23mm diameter for a 50mm "focal length". The Nikon lens mount is 46.5 mm distance.

RobV

Added to my NAS list! I may go for the fancy, brass one Wayne mentioned.

So what, do you have to be old enough to have only known film, to be impressed by pinhole technology?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Here is another shot done with the pinhole.

235648-weekly-challenge-nov-16-nov-23-vegetable-mca_3376.jpg

I'd have to say that not all subjects are made for this technique, but some do turn out good. It's an atmosphere that would be hard to re-create with a lens. Well maybe.

RobV

Do you remember what kind of cheese that was?
I am partial to white cheese, myself, and there is no such thing as "too sharp"!

I guess you don't want a sharp cheese when shooting pinhole, though. :)

RobV

Here is another shot done with the pinhole.

235648-weekly-challenge-nov-16-nov-23-vegetable-mca_3376.jpg

I'd have to say that not all subjects are made for this technique, but some do turn out good. It's an atmosphere that would be hard to re-create with a lens. Well maybe.
Is there no EXIF data recorded with no lens mounted?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Is there no EXIF data recorded with no lens mounted?
The exif is in the other thread. I just used the image from my daily or almost thread to get this picture here.

Here's the exif: Exposure was 30 seconds. iso was 1250. My original exif shows a 35mm f2 lens on there but it's only because it's the "non cpu lens" data that was there. Means the 35mm was the last one I used before shooting this.

RobV

The exif is in the other thread. I just used the image from my daily or almost thread to get this picture here.

Here's the exif: Exposure was 30 seconds. iso was 1250. My original exif shows a 35mm f2 lens on there but it's only because it's the "non cpu lens" data that was there. Means the 35mm was the last one I used before shooting this.

Yes, I saw it on the vegetable thread. But thanks for the explanation on "ghost" data from the previous lens. I never would have guessed the cameras would do that.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, I saw it on the vegetable thread. But thanks for the explanation on "ghost" data from the previous lens. I never would have guessed the cameras would do that.
Well I only found out when I tried the pinhole.

There is a menu to set your non CPU lenses in a bank. One manually enters the focal length and the maximum aperture so the correct exif shows up in the files. But, if you forget to switch the lens in the menu, the exif would show the wrong lens and I'm not sure but think the exposure could be fooled as well if the lens used had much of a difference from the one in the menu.

It's something extra you have to watch when you have many different non cpu lenses.