Nikon D60 + Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8

Hi guys, my current kit is above on the title. I've just realised and been reading through the internet and found out that my lens on 1.8-2.5 aperture is not so sharp. Lenses have what they call a sweet spot, is it true? My friend is using a canon (dont know the model) but hes using a sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 and he said such things have never happened to him. Anyone can say anything about this? Thanks

ryan20fun

Different people have different opinions on what is sharp.
But most lenses need to be stopped down to some degree to get to the point where they are at there sharpest.

I find that my Nikon 70-300mm VR is sharpest at around f8, But that does not mean that the max aperture of 5.6 is not sharp enough for most things.

HTH.

Blacktop

Hi guys, my current kit is above on the title. I've just realised and been reading through the internet and found out that my lens on 1.8-2.5 aperture is not so sharp. Lenses have what they call a sweet spot, is it true? My friend is using a canon (dont know the model) but hes using a sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 and he said such things have never happened to him. Anyone can say anything about this? Thanks

That's what you get for reading the internet. All this time you were thinking you had a sharp lens, then one day the internet comes by and tells you otherwise.
But seriously. Lenses tend to get sharper stopped down. Not enough to notice unless you're pixel peeping every shot. My advice for you would be to keep the 50mm 1.8 and work on your shooting technique instead if your images are truly not sharp.