Data Asset Management (DAM)

ohkphoto

Snow White
First of all, I want to thank all of you who have been helping me with my hardware and software issues. I don't say often enough how impressed I am with the expertise here. Most of you know I had a really bad cyberattack and had to reinstall my system software, but not until I had lost a hard drive. Fortunately, 75% of the files were backed up to another drive. So for the last two weeks I have put photography on the back burner to organize my DAM system.

The laptop is the newer system and the desktop is slower. I will probably be replacing it in the fall. In the meantime, I think I have my backups covered via the infograph below. (had to draw it out so that my brain could make sense of it)

Do you think I'm covered datawise as long as I don't have 3 drives go out at one time?
Should I add one more drive to the end sequence?
And what is your opinion of the online backup storage sites . . . I'm trying out Backblaze because the storage is unlimited; however, it's taking 23 days for the initial backup.

backup infograph2.jpg

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Looks like you have things covered! This makes me want to get an external drive. Right now I have a secondary drive mounted in my computer that I back things up to. I also back things up to dropbox that are more important.

fotojack

Helene, looks like you have things pretty well covered there.......except for one thing........please don't tell me your laptop has Vista on it! You'd be much better off upgrading to Windows 7, a far superior OS than Vista. Windows 7 is a much more stable system. Just something I think you should be aware of. :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
please don't tell me your laptop has Vista on it!
LOL. Yep. I'm concerned about all the drivers, etc. specific to the laptop and software, etc. I don't write or read code, so much of what I do to fix my computers is trial and error --not afraid to push buttons, I guess. Is it possible to upgrade/go to different operating system without running into a bunch of glitches?

fotojack

LOL. Yep. I'm concerned about all the drivers, etc. specific to the laptop and software, etc. I don't write or read code, so much of what I do to fix my computers is trial and error --not afraid to push buttons, I guess. Is it possible to upgrade/go to different operating system without running into a bunch of glitches?

Yup, very simple. Go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7, and it will tell you how to upgrade from Vista, all online. Quick and easy. :) Believe me, Helene, Vista is NOT an OS that you want to stay with. It's buggy and unstable. Ask any IT guy about Vista......don't have to take my work for it! :) I tell you things from experience, not because I'm a smartass or anything! lol :) I'm one of those people that hate seeing anyone waste money on junk. I'm just funny like that. :)

Just to set your mind at ease about drivers and such; Windows 7 architecture is based on the Vista platform, but SUPER improved! Whereas Vista is unstable, Win7 is extremely stable......the most stable system yet. You will absolutely LOVE IT!! :)

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
I tell you things from experience, not because I'm a smartass or anything! lol :) I'm one of those people that hate seeing anyone waste money on junk. I'm just funny like that.
Per your recommendation, Jack, I went to microsoft to get Windows 7. Found a scanning program to install on the computer that would analyze the current system and let you know if there are issues and/or which windows 7 to use. Everything cleared except a "Dell" issue. Referred me to Dell . . . this laptop is not compatible with Windows 7. I would have to do a "custom install" and then manually re-install all drivers. And the custom install does not save the program and data files, if I read it correctly. Since I just finished re-installing EVERYTHING, I think I'll wait until I have another "issue" with Vista, or until I have more energy. . . whichever comes first.

Thanks for your suggestions. I always value the voice of experience :)