Manual focus available with movies?

MGMartino

I am trying to record myself playing all the tracks in my recording studio so I am using the movie mode on my Nikon CoolPix p610 and When I film up close to my face when I am singing its looks crystal clear and it's great! but when I start to back the camera up for filming me playing guitar it still has the guitar coming out very clear but my face is actually pretty blurry/not in focus. It's almost like the camera takes whatever is closest to the lens and makes that in focus then completely disregards anything behind the closest object to the lens. From what I could find in movie mode the only setting for Focus is "Single Auto-Focus" and "Full Time Auto-Focus" ...both of which seemed to have the problem i am describing...So is there a way for me to manually focus in on my face or some other way to pick a desired spot in the frame to have the camera focus on while recording a movie with this camera? I am fairly new to photography and cameras in general I mostly am getting into them now to help me make videos to promote my music.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Switch your lens to manual focus and focus manually. It also avoids "hunting" and that annoying AF sound.

Glenn
Caution: Typos may occur randomly.

mikew_RIP

I am trying to record myself playing all the tracks in my recording studio so I am using the movie mode on my Nikon CoolPix p610 and When I film up close to my face when I am singing its looks crystal clear and it's great! but when I start to back the camera up for filming me playing guitar it still has the guitar coming out very clear but my face is actually pretty blurry/not in focus. It's almost like the camera takes whatever is closest to the lens and makes that in focus then completely disregards anything behind the closest object to the lens. From what I could find in movie mode the only setting for Focus is "Single Auto-Focus" and "Full Time Auto-Focus" ...both of which seemed to have the problem i am describing...So is there a way for me to manually focus in on my face or some other way to pick a desired spot in the frame to have the camera focus on while recording a movie with this camera? I am fairly new to photography and cameras in general I mostly am getting into them now to help me make videos to promote my music.

Welcome to the forum