Question about pano.

Blacktop

If I stitch 3 vertical pano shots together made with a 24MP cam, will it become a 72MP resolution shot or just one big assed file?:indecisiveness:
I'm thinking the latter.

MartinCornwall

No and no. I did a 3 shot horizontal but a vertical pano for the stitching the other night with the 24mp D7100. You should allow an overlap of about 30% for the stacking software so this will be lost from each shot. I use Microsoft ICE and after cropping for the stitching the resulting file was (WxH) 5925 x 7588 and using the expert 90 export to disk setting the resulting file was 4.9mb if you change the export to 100 then the file size would be a bit larger but not massive. These were from jpegs after exporting after processing the RAW files. Each individual jpeg was around 12MB so there is obviously compression on the output at 90 on this program.

Last edited:

Blacktop

No and no. I did a 3 shot horizontal but a vertical pano for the stitching the other night with the 24mp D7100. You should allow an overlap of about 30% for the stacking software so this will be lost from each shot. I use Microsoft ICE and after cropping for the stitching the resulting file was (WxH) 5925 x 7588 and using the expert 90 export to disk setting the resulting file was 4.9mb if you change the export to 100 then the file size would be a bit larger but not massive. These were from jpegs after exporting after processing the RAW files. Each individual jpeg was around 12MB so there is obviously compression on the output at 90 on this program.
I took my first pano shot a few weeks ago, 3 shot horizontal and just gotten around processing it.
I didn't do a 30% overlap like you suggest. I don't remember exactly now but it wasn't much overlap at all and it came out fine(I think). LR pano merge. Size camout to like 39MB, after converting to jpeg.

http://nikonites.com/general-photog...-through-southeastern-us-6.html#axzz3ex3hG9Nm

MartinCornwall

I have tried quite a few pano's in LR pano merge but they have all failed to work. The software says "not enough matching files" ??? but they work fine in ICE

I use Photoshop for my panos and I shoot RAW and I get Big Ass files. Most of the time it works good but on occasion I get photos that will just not work and Microsoft ICE will. But I still prefer Photoshop

Blacktop

One more question. If I take 3 vertical shots and stitch them together, would I get better IQ then if if I just take one landscape oriented shot? If not, then what is the idea behind vertical pano?

One more question. If I take 3 vertical shots and stitch them together, would I get better IQ then if if I just take one landscape oriented shot? If not, then what is the idea behind vertical pano?

Depends. Shooting with the three shots gets tree times the data so it should be better. That is assuming you cover the same area in the finished images in both.

I did a vertical Pano recently because I could not back up far enough to get the shot I wanted with the lenses I had with me.

Generally I shoot in portrait orientation when doing a horizontal pano so I have more room to lose top and bottom. I found that out the hard way early on when playing with panos.

Also I have found that if you can shoot it with one shot by using a wider lens then do. A lot easier and generally better.

I still want to try a 6 shot pano. three across and two high. I think that would be fun

Blacktop

Depends. Shooting with the three shots gets tree times the data so it should be better. That is assuming you cover the same area in the finished images in both.

I did a vertical Pano recently because I could not back up far enough to get the shot I wanted with the lenses I had with me.

Generally I shoot in portrait orientation when doing a horizontal pano so I have more room to lose top and bottom. I found that out the hard way early on when playing with panos.

Also I have found that if you can shoot it with one shot by using a wider lens then do. A lot easier and generally better.

I still want to try a 6 shot pano. three across and two high. I think that would be fun

Thanks, but I think I made a mistake in asking my question.
Instead of saying "vertical pano" what I meant was, taking 3 shots in portrait orientation and then stitching them together for a landscape orientation final product.

Sorry.

Thanks, but I think I made a mistake in asking my question.
Instead of saying "vertical pano" what I meant was, taking 3 shots in portrait orientation and then stitching them together for a landscape orientation final product.

Sorry.
Then I answered it anyway. I think that is the best way to shoot anyway.

The question is still a good one either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Here's my take on it...an uncropped horizontal photo comes in at roughly 20" wide from the D7100. If you take 3 portrait photos and stitch them together to create a horizontal image, each individual frame will be roughly 13" prior to merging. Even with overlap, you should still wind up with a 30" or wider photo after merging. So it depends on how big you'd like to print that pano. ;)

Felisek

Sometimes even a UWA lens is not wide enough. This is a composite of 6 shots, 3 vertically, 2 horizontally. The individual shots were taken in landscape orientation. The distortion is so huge that I had to leave the tower on the right leaning a bit. When I tried straightening it, it looked even more weird.

Firenze Duomo.jpg

RocketCowboy

Sometimes even a UWA lens is not wide enough. This is a composite of 6 shots, 3 vertically, 2 horizontally. The individual shots were taken in landscape orientation. The distortion is so huge that I had to leave the tower on the right leaning a bit. When I tried straightening it, it looked even more weird.

View attachment 167441

Hmm ... so based on that, a telephoto lens probably works better for merging panos so that you have less barrel distortion than when using a UWA lens?

Are you able to apply and lens correction profile to the RAW image before the merge?

Scott Murray

Hmm ... so based on that, a telephoto lens probably works better for merging panos so that you have less barrel distortion than when using a UWA lens?

Are you able to apply and lens correction profile to the RAW image before the merge?

Yes you can, I always remove lens distortion prior to merging, I am also looking at different ways to remove the distortion as I have youtubed a few videos which show better ways than the lens profiles.

Felisek

I don't think so. The distortion in this image is not due to lens properties, but due to the fact that I'm trying to project a large portion of a sphere onto a plane. I think that I'd get a very similar effect even if I took hundreds of telephoto pictures and merged them. You cannot avoid it.

wornish

I don't think so. The distortion in this image is not due to lens properties, but due to the fact that I'm trying to project a large portion of a sphere onto a plane. I think that I'd get a very similar effect even if I took hundreds of telephoto pictures and merged them. You cannot avoid it.

In Photoshop you can do the pano projection in different ways, cylindrical, spherical or to a plane as well as others. The camera position also makes a big difference.

Also don't forget you can use the Lightroom - Lens Correction - Vertical option on the final image it might help

Last edited:

Felisek

Yes, that's true. I haven't played a lot with this particular picture, perhaps there is a way of making it look a little better. However, there will be always some distortion in the image. If by some miracle they flattened half of Florence and I took a picture of this building (Duomo, the cathedral) from a longer distance at 50 or 85 mm, the lines would be much straighter and the perspective would look more natural. There is a limit to which you can correct very distorted perspective.