Bokeh

Kim20

_DSC0051.jpg

I was checking out some of the other threads, and came across "bokeh" I just want to be sure I understand it correctly, is this a bokeh photo, and did I spell it correctly?

Last edited:

Browncoat

As for your question...bokeh is the blur produced by a lens on subjects that are outside of the depth of field. Some lenses are known for producing smooth/good/creamy bokeh, while other have a reputation for "bad" bokeh. Individual results can depend greatly on DoF, lighting, and lens used.

Most of us consider bokeh to be the round "bubble" shapes of light that appear out of focus in the background. Good bokeh usually produces this rounded shape, but the object is still slightly recognizable. If these bubbles were examined individually, the optimal sphere would have blurred edges as opposed to a hard and defined shape.

I don't see any bokeh in the submitted image.

Kim20

Ok, thanks so much, I didn't think I was quite getting it, knew I was missing something. Your explanation is great, and I will remember what you said, at try again sometime. :)

fotojack

Yes, you spelled it right, Kim. :)
The reason this picture shows no bokeh is because the flower in the left of the frame is out of focus. The other two are in the foreground, but they're sort of in focus. Everything in the background would be out of focus, like Anthony explained. I hope this makes sense to you. :)

Kim20

Ok, I have 2 Nikkor lenses, an 18-105mm, and just today picked up a 55-300mm, (I haven't even tried it out yet, lol), but i plan to in the morning!! Open the aperture wide? ok, I will try to figure out how to do that! I love to problem solve, and have faith in my abilities to work it out. I am so new at this, I haven't learned what I need to know, but I sure am interested, any tips and suggestions I can get will go far for me. Thanks for taking the time to help. :)

Eye-level

Banned
There are many many folks who will say that first picture does display bokeh...their definition being a sharply focused area - the subject if you will - and the "character" of the out of focus area being "bokeh" and not necessarily just little spheres...then the arguments begin about what is smooth and what is harsh bokeh...it is really a very very subjective topic.

The Nikkor 105/2.5 is a legendary lens...big reason is because it is said to be able to make first rate bokeh...the Nikkor 85/1.4 is affectionately called the cream machine by many...as for any of the newer Nikkors eg digital autofocus rigs I am sure there are a few that are known as bokeh machines...I am not personally familiar with them...yet... :)

I might get some flack for saying this but with zoom lenses it is probably a lot more difficult to get bokeh effects because they are typically much slower than primes therefore harder to get very shallow depth of field which seems to be a requisite of bokeh pictures...

Last edited:

Kim20

This is a very interesting subject, I know I was (and still am a little) confused, and really wanted some assistance. I picked up on the fact that not everyone agrees on a clear definition, and idea of what Bokeh is, and it makes it difficult for us beginners to grasp. This is such a great site, I am thankful that it was recommended to me.

Eye-level

Banned
Myself I have been chasing after a good bokeh shot for a few years now...I just don't have the lenses to really pull it off and perhaps I am lacking in the photographic skills department...I've had the best luck with my 135/2.8 but because of it's lack of aperture blades it just doesn't do completely right! Last shot made with an old Zeiss Ikon camera with 115mm Tessar...

00100033.jpg

Mike.jpg

00210005.jpg

Browncoat

There are many many folks who will say that first picture does display bokeh...their definition being a sharply focused area - the subject if you will - and the "character" of the out of focus area being "bokeh" and not necessarily just little spheres...then the arguments begin about what is smooth and what is harsh bokeh...it is really a very very subjective topic.
I will argue that.

It's not the definition of bokeh that is in question. Honestly, I think I did a pretty good job of explaining it earlier. Just because something is out of focus doesn't mean it has bokeh...it just means that it's out of focus. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do agree that what is considered good/soft bokeh versus bad/harsh is subjective. I would say that in the examples you've posted, the first two are harsh and the third doesn't have any. But that's my opinion.

Eye-level

Banned
In the beginning I was impressed with myself because I was able to get bokeh...many beginning photohounds probably feel the same way...but the reality of it is just because you can achieve a bokeh effect doesn't mean you have a good picture...actually it can mean quite the opposite...

I used to think this picture was just the bomb mainly because of the bokeh...it really sort of sucks though...bokeh is way to choppy and rough way to distracting amongst other things...hahaha :)

00100022.jpg

Kim20

Ahhh! Those photos were very helpful, Now I understand the blurred bubbles that were mentioned!!!! I love those ah-hah moments. Wow, I'm a bit relieved to have grasped it a bit better at lest. Thanks for posting them! :)

Kim20

Yes Anthony, you did a great job of explaining it, everyone has been so helpful. I didn't quite get the bubble thing before, but have a little better visual understanding. I wondered about the third photo, I'm just not sure why I did, I just did. Your photo reassures me that I am understanding the concept better.. :)

Kim20

I plan to try to take some with this in mind, and will again ask for your input on whether I have succeeded.

Last edited by a moderator: