Deselecting a tool in Photoshop

tea2085

I have the trial version and have yet to understand how to deselect a tool. They tell me to click the window containing the tool and I will see dotted or dashed lines surrounding the tool. I don't see that. Then click select drop down an click deselect to remove all active tools. Doesn't work. I've also tried holding down the control key+d. Doesn't work. I feel kinda foolish not being able to figure this out but decided to ask for help. Paul

Blacktop

I have the trial version and have yet to understand how to deselect a tool. They tell me to click the window containing the tool and I will see dotted or dashed lines surrounding the tool. I don't see that. Then click select drop down an click deselect to remove all active tools. Doesn't work. I've also tried holding down the control key+d. Doesn't work. I feel kinda foolish not being able to figure this out but decided to ask for help. Paul
I don't know which tool you want to deselect, but I normally just right click and deselect.

Blacktop

Untitled.jpg

tea2085

Blacktop- when I right click the eyedrop tool I get a menu that lists all eyedrop tools i.e. 3D tool, color sampler tool, ruler tool, note toll and count tool. No way for me to deselect. All the tools in that panel do the same (list subtools). When I right click on the icon. Paul

Blacktop

Blacktop- when I right click the eyedrop tool I get a menu that lists all eyedrop tools i.e. 3D tool, color sampler tool, ruler tool, note toll and count tool. No way for me to deselect. All the tools in that panel do the same (list subtools). When I right click on the icon. Paul

I see. Then just select another tool and this will deselect the previous tool. I don't think you can deselect a tool by right clicking, just deselect the action of the tool.
For example I can right click on a selection made by the "lasso" tool to deselect that action, but can't deselect the "lasso" tool itself by right clicking.

Horoscope Fish

Then how do you deselect the tool? I want no tool and when I choose another tool, I still have a tool. Paul
Well when you have a photo open in PS a tool is always active unless you hover on a menu at which point the tool reverts to a cursor. The "Move" tool at the top left (with no context menu) would be a good choice for being "tool-less" in PS but I don't really think it matters.

tea2085

Thank you Fish and blacktop- I guess I see. Photoshop sure isn't user friendly and now I'm thinking LR as a stand alone. Paul

Horoscope Fish

Can't you just click on whatever tool you like? That's all there is to it.
Exactly... You simply move from one tool to another tool by clicking on the icons for them.

I think the OP wants a state where NO tool has been selected; which I'm having trouble understanding the need for.

J-see

Exactly... You simply move from one tool to another tool by clicking on the icons for them.

I think the OP wants a state where NO tool has been selected; which I'm having trouble understanding the need for.

I fully understand PS is very confusing at first, especially if you have no experience with such programs, but I can't think of any other program which has a "no tool" option. There's always some tool active even if it is only a pointer to scroll/move through the shot.

tea2085

You guys made me understand and now I get it. In lightroom you can do it but I also understand why you would want a tool at all times in PS. Excuse my naivety. Paul

Photoshop is a wonderful and very powerful program and is well worth the price of admission. It is not something you can learn in a couple of weeks and really Light Room is not either. Both take time and patience and lot of work to master. I have been using Photoshop for many years and I still have to work at it. I learn something new about it every week. We the Creative Cloud Photographer edition you can have both PS and LR for not a lot of money each month. Also with this option they are updating and adding features all the time.

Wow, thanks guys, I have to learn PS. Paul

My suggestion is to just learn the basics first. Brightness, Contrast, Shadow. Most of this can be done in Adobe Camera RAW assuming you are shooting in RAW. Just do the basics till you get comfortable using them and then and only then pick you new task in Photoshop and learn it. Only after you get used to the new task and use it for a while then you learn something new. If you try to learn it all in a weekend you are just going to get frustrated and throw up your hands and quit photography for 10 years.