New macro lens

Scott Murray

Well my new macro lens arrived today, I am unable to take any decent shots due to my recent accident but here are some shots of the lens and some test shots.

DSC_0319 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

DSC_0320 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

DSC_0322 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

DSC_0323 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

DSC_0324 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

DSC_0325 by Scott Murray, on Flickr

1:1 macro

by Scott Murray, on Flickr

2:1 macro

2:1 + Raynox DCR-250

Shows some promise.

mikew_RIP

Nice one Scott,a little bit of cheerup :D am i detecting a drop in IQ with the Raynox or is it the extra enlargement showing the unsharpness of the actual print.

Scott Murray

Nice one Scott,a little bit of cheerup :D am i detecting a drop in IQ with the Raynox or is it the extra enlargement showing the unsharpness of the actual print.
I wont be quoting IQ just yet as these are not even worth a comparison, all I was trying to do was show the magnification ratios. When my hand and back is better I will try some shots. Or I may even set up a tripod and photograph inanimate objects.

mikew_RIP

I wont be quoting IQ just yet as these are not even worth a comparison, all I was trying to do was show the magnification ratios. When my hand and back is better I will try some shots. Or I may even set up a tripod and photograph inanimate objects.

The more i look at it the more i think its the break up of the print at that magnification,looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I am not familiar with the brand Scott but the characters appears to resemble Korean characters.

Been out for a while, sorry to hear about your recent incident. Hope it is not so bad and that you'll recover soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Murray

I am not familiar with the brand Scott but the characters appears to resemble Korean characters.

Been out for a while, sorry to hear about your recent incident. Hope it is not so bad and that you'll recover soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey thanks, it is actually from China and the brand name prior was Venus.

I should be back to 100% in 5 weeks.

Scott Murray

Need to get pretty close at 8:1 wow.

Here is another at 2:1

20150717-20150717-SHM_1191.jpg

Scott Murray

This is a very nice and sharp lens but its only downsize is the 60mm focal length, I am able to get close to some bugs but jumping spiders are alot harder and so are long legged flies etc. So I think this will be put on the shelf and the 90 will be back on my camera.

Scott Murray

Well I went back and tried my 90mm and was disappointed at how close I could not get to the jumping spider.

Here is an uncropped shot, I think with patience and perseverance I will be able to get decent shots. Having a sore back and hand is quite limiting so I will give it a bit longer with this lens.

20150717-20150717-SHM_1238.jpg

Ironwood

Looks like you are starting to get a handle on that lens Scott.

I have found myself using my 55 macro quite a bit lately, though I don't mind cropping, might be different if I was printing large but.
It seems to be sharper than my 105, and the added benefit of a wider DOF helps.
Have you noticed if your 60 mm has a wider depth of field at 2:1 than your 90 mm at 1:1 , or about equal ?

Scott Murray

Looks like you are starting to get a handle on that lens Scott.

I have found myself using my 55 macro quite a bit lately, though I don't mind cropping, might be different if I was printing large but.
It seems to be sharper than my 105, and the added benefit of a wider DOF helps.
Have you noticed if your 60 mm has a wider depth of field at 2:1 than your 90 mm at 1:1 , or about equal ?
Honestly haven't really noticed, may do a test sometime but for now am getting used to this lens plus my twin light set up.

Bourbon Neat

Post #10. That has got to be one tiny rascal, nice focus range.

Scott are you satisfied with the flexible lighting setup? Do you think it causes any escapes and is there difficulties in the tall grass?

Scott Murray

Post #10. That has got to be one tiny rascal, nice focus range.

Scott are you satisfied with the flexible lighting setup? Do you think it causes any escapes and is there difficulties in the tall grass?
Cheers mate.

The lighting set up works well but yes it does get in the way especially the front LED light. I haven't tried it in the tall grass as yet but am finding that I bump leaves easily and that results in the bugs escaping, also at 2:1 it is hard to find the bug at times.

10 Gauge

Wow, 2:1 is awesome. Definitely jealous as I can't get anywhere near that close of a shot with my Tokina, a lot of cropping involved. I wonder if a Raynox on the end of the Tokina would help?

Scott Murray

Wow, 2:1 is awesome. Definitely jealous as I can't get anywhere near that close of a shot with my Tokina, a lot of cropping involved. I wonder if a Raynox on the end of the Tokina would help?
The Raynox definitely helps trust me as I use that on my 90mm Tamron and that gives me around 2.5:1 but I can also add the raynox on my 2:1 giving 4.5:1 lol