Another gripe about PCC 2015

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When I use Photoshop on jpegs, the majority of times I right click on a jpeg and select the option to open with PCC 2015. Since the upgrade from PCC 2014 to PCC 2015, the option to work this way is no longer available. I thought perhaps I just needed to associate the program with the files it will open; however, that doesn't even work.

After searching online, I found this discussion which says it is a mistake on Adobe's part and needs to have the registry changed. Since I've never made this type of change, is this something that Adobe can possibly fix in an update, or will it require waiting until Adobe releases a new version?

The following comes from this link and is found halfway down the page: https://forums.adobe.com/message/5433379/

After looking at a new user's registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and comparing it to the one on the original user, I found a registry value which was not changed, and should have been.

I found a key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

When I changed the CS6 to a CC, in other words, so the whole key reads:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

Everything now works perfectly.

There's no question this is an installer bug and I imagine it's going to hit anyone who upgrades from CS6 to CC. The fix is easy if you are comfortable with editing the registry but it should be fixed in the installer. This is an Adobe bug, plain and simple.

If you create a new user, since it has no keys for HKEY_CURRENT_USER it creates them properly.

I would like to thank pbody01 for pointing me in the right direction and I am curious to see if this fix works for other people.And hey, just 'cause... make sure you do a backup and especially export the registry before you go in there.

nickt

Adobe left me hanging as well after upgrading to LR CC. LR would not automatically open for import upon inserting a memory card despite correct LR and windows 8 autoplay settings. I had to dig around for a registry tweak which worked. Adobe should be fixing these things quickly so customers aren't needing to alter their registries manually.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Adobe left me hanging as well after upgrading to LR CC. LR would not automatically open for import upon inserting a memory card despite correct LR and windows 8 autoplay settings. I had to dig around for a registry tweak which worked. Adobe should be fixing these things quickly so customers aren't needing to alter their registries manually.

I hope Adobe will be more careful in the future. Otherwise people might start dropping their subscriptions.